Mower dies when engaging blades

Brucep86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but have owned my Raptor SD 54" mower for approx 5 years. I was using the mower regularly up until last summer (June of 21), when we went on an extended vacation. When we came back, I kept the lawn service we were using and didn't use the mower for a year, other then to start it up from time to time.

Started it up yesterday, and when going to engage the blades, the engine chokes, and then dies. It runs/moves fine when riding and not trying to cut. I was able to get it moving by reving the engine to higher RPM's and engaging the blades. It stumbled a bit but stayed running and seemed to cut grass as normal. But, I don't know that that is good for it, and I didn't use to have rev it up so much to get it to go.

Today I changed the oil, put in new plugs, and a fuel filter, but it still does the same thing. I even took off the plastic covers on the cutting deck, and cleaned out around all the pulleys. When turning the blades (backwards) by hand it seems there is a lot of drag on them. I don't see any lube points for the pulleys, and don't have anything in the manual to show how to change the belts, although the belt looks like it's in good shape. I wondering if the bearings in one of the pulleys has good bad and is seizing up.

Any suggestions on what it might be, and how to check to see if a pulley bearing is seized up?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
1) engine should always be running full speed .
2) remove the deck belt completely and check that the blades spin freely and the pulleys spin freely and quietly .
Note on a manual PTO you will need to hold the brakes off .

Most mowers drive around on nothing more than the idle jet and only run off the main jet when the blades are on
So pull the carb and clean it thoroughly including the solenoid and check it retracts fully when the key is on .

I always find it strange that people seem to think that changing the oil & filter will fix running problems
Did you get that off FaceAche or YouBoob ?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"I always find it strange that people seem to think that changing the oil & filter will fix running problems"

We had a diversity hire that when an unnecessary PM on a piece of equipment didn't fix a problem she got out the parts cannon and changed lot of unnecessary parts. Then called one of the old guys to come fix it. The manager changed her last 2 performance appraisals from sub standard to excellent so she could be promoted to someone else's problem. They fired the white guy who sucked less. Welcome to corporate america.