Mower cutting out

mokeybozo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got an older Craftsman mower that's been running great until a couple weeks ago. It's starting to stutter and cut off after it gets hot. I've checked the carb and fuel filter and no change. Any ideas? Thanks.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Sounds like plugged carb, bad coil, or valves out of adjustment. Check your fuel line for a steady fuel flow

Auto Doc's

Threads
Being that this his happening when the engine gets hot, I would suspect the plug or coil. Many places sell "lawn mower plugs", but they are not always correct.

Please provide the engine information if possible. There should be a information tag or a series of numbers stamped into the valve cover that would help us help you. The machine label does very little to identify the engine.

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trash in the fuel tank. Flush her out then blow both ways with shop air. Make sure you have good fuel flow as Craftsman Garage said.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you restart the unit after you allow it to cool down? If so the next time it happens check for spark. If no spark I suspect you have a coil which has either a hot short or hot open. Not uncommon for an older unit. Solution replace coil. If you still have spark, we know the ignition system is good and we go after the fuel system. Don’t go throwing parts at it, until we figure out which system is causing the problem.