Mower blade stuck

Edavis44

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello!! I was mowing my lawn and didn’t see a big rock in the grass. I hit it and the mower stopped and when I tried to pull the cord to start it again it won’t even pull. I turned it over and saw the blade is stuck against this metal shield. How do I fix this!

99164AA0-D46E-4B3B-A5DB-A41A86FCFF38.jpeg

OldNoob

Threads
well. first i would say
#1 check your blade mounting bolts to make sure the blade is mounted properly. If that is ok then.....
#2 check your spindle for looseness. If that is ok then......
#3 check the bolts that hold the shroud in place by the wheels, make sure they are adjusted properly and tight. If that is ok then...
#4 BIG HAMMER move the blade and give that shroud a big whack with a 3lb sledge hammer until the blade clears.
(Always take the spark plug wire off the spark plug when working on the underside of the mower)

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOAH , you have a perfect chance to check for a bent engine shaft and a bent blade .

As soon as you can get the shroud to move just enough to rotate the engine then check for a bent shaft by determining if the end of the blade clearance to the shroud is the same on both ends of the blade . If it passes that test it's time to check for a bent blade . This can be done with a deck level gauge . If the 2 blade ends don't leave only 1 impression when rotating the second end to the gauge the blade is bent and that gauge will tell you how much .

1655737253566.jpeg

Edavis44

Forum Newbie
Threads
well. first i would say
#1 check your blade mounting bolts to make sure the blade is mounted properly. If that is ok then.....
#2 check your spindle for looseness. If that is ok then......
#3 check the bolts that hold the shroud in place by the wheels, make sure they are adjusted properly and tight. If that is ok then...
#4 BIG HAMMER move the blade and give that shroud a big whack with a 3lb sledge hammer until the blade clears.
(Always take the spark plug wire off the spark plug when working on the underside of the mower)
EB53CA97-BBA5-4A31-B384-945129D11455.jpeg
Thanks!! I also just noticed this when I was cleaning it. Can this be fixed?

Ida-Boy

Threads
I would say that you did bend the shaft. I was able to save a new mower years back with help from a friend at a repair business. We mounted the engine in a "Shaft Saver" and was able to bend it back to where we could use the mower. It was long ago and I can't remember how much it was bent and don't believe it was as bad as yours. Good Luck

OldNoob

Threads
Look closely at the picture.. something isn't where it's suppose to be. therefor contact.
shroud.JPG
Shroud2.jpeg

Last edited:

OldNoob

Threads
just out of curiosity.. is the current blade the same length as the previous blade?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
just out of curiosity.. is the current blade the same length as the previous blade?
The blade length should be fine. It is the rock that bent things way out of wack. But of the blade may be bent, plus the crankshaft PTO end may be bent now. Even the flywheel key may be sheared.

Solid hits do a lot of damage at times. At least the mower body is metal unlike some Honda mowers with plastic bodies.