Mountfield Empress BVS 143 Tecumseh wont start

Empress1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I have a Mountfield Empress that has started fine every time for years ! Today It started and I was mowing away, when I noticed one of the back rollers was stuck. I shut it down, and I had to lift the mower into a vertical position to access and remove the stick that had snared the roller. When I tried to start it again, it wouldn't start. Even after an hour or two, not a peep.

The spark plug is OK - giving sparks - the choke seems to be working, - the plug tip gets a bit wet after I have pulled the rope a few times , but not a peep out of it, either on choke or without choke.

Have I done something, disturbed something by lifting the mower into a vertical position ??

Any suggestions as to what I can try to get it working again ?

Thanks for any help !

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Retrace your steps & look for loose wiring by hand & flashlight. How did you lift mower in vertical position?
Read { scan } through above information & see if it may be helpful.

Last edited:

Empress1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks - I just lifted it up from the horizontal position on the grass by the pushing handle so the nose was resting on the grass and I could get access to the rear rollers where a twig had got stuck. There is a strong spark from the spark plug.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like when you tipped it forward you may have introduced oil into the cylinder. This is what I would try. Remove the spark plug and spray some carb cleaner into the cylinder. With the plug out pull the recoil over about ten times hard to clean the cylinder. Second if this engines carb has a drain on the bottom, press it in and drain the carb for about 15 seconds into a rag. If no drain loosen the bolt on the bottom of the carb, DO NOT REMOVE, drain the carb for 15 seconds, tighten the bolt. Install the spark plug, make sure it is dry, and try starting the engine. Let us know your results.

Empress1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks - I'll give this a try and let you know. Yes, it has a drain pin to press. Off to Halfords to get some carb cleaner !

Empress1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear "Mr Rivets". I tried your suggested fix, just as you advised ! Removed the spark plug, squirted in the carb cleaner , pulled the rope 15 times and the cleaner spewed out, drained some fuel from out of the bottom of the carb, put the dry plug back in and pulled the rope.......... Hey Presto...after 5 pulls it coughed into life and is now back to its old self !
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond - You saved me the hastle of lugging it down to the repair shop which is miles away, and a big service fee ! I can't thank you enough !..... And thanks to the forum for making this possible !
Now I will bite the bullet, give it an oil change, clean the air filter, and replace the pull cord which seems to be on its last legs after all the fruitless pulling !
When I put in the carb cleaner I noticed some black gummy deposits in the top of the cylinder which the carb leaner didn't shift - should I try and scrape this off, or just leave it ?

Thanks again !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear I got lucky with my reply and thank you for posting an outcome, most guys won’t do that. With that engine, I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have other problems and need to remove the head.