Motor won't spin

milz45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a MTD - Yard Machine push mower, 6.0 HP that I've used for 15 years. Recently I turned over my lawn care to my 11 year old. He's done a fine job, until the other day he reported the mower belched out black smoke and then the blade fell off! Don't worry, he's got all his toes. I reattached the blade but when I pulled the starter rope, it wouldn't budge. I checked the oil and it was very low. So this is not looking good. Then I pulled the cover and got down to the starter cup. I removed the spark plug and depressed the safety bar and attempted spinning the cup with my hand. Here's the weird thing (at least to me), the cup spins freely with no resistance, then it hits a spot where it stops dead. I can even spin it backwards a few revolutions and forwards, but it always hits that spot. Is this expected if the motor is completely seized? I would have thought it wouldn't spin at all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It's been a good mower. I'd love to keep it going, but maybe it's time to put her down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sound very much like the rod let go
Without the blade on the engine can overrev then bang
Poke a pencil down the plug hole and feel for the piston moving,
Chances are it is not.
If the cases are not broken then it is repairable.
Good Father - Son quality shed time.
If you decide to pull the engine down, take the flywheel off before you remove the engine from the mower, it is a lot easier to do that way.
Get him to research pulling the engine apart and then allow him to show you how it done, big confidence booster particularly if he is feeling guilty about breaking your mower.
Taryl Fixes All & Donny Boy 87 are good sources of info on You tube.

milz45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, bertsmobile1. I'll try what you suggested when I get home tonight.
Great idea on having him research things a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, bertsmobile1. I'll try what you suggested when I get home tonight.
Great idea on having him research things a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

And now I have had time to think about things, if the klunk sounds like it is high up in the engine then you might have a washer or bit of magnetic gravel stuck inside the flywheel.
I did not check to see if your mower has a charging system but it is not uncommon to get a little bit of gravel stuck between the magnets that fouls on the stator.
If yours does not have a charging circuit then disregard the above.

And finding things where kids can lead adults is hard but very valuable, just be warned, if he gets it to work then you might find the garage full of junkers picked up from the curb, it can become very addictive.