Motor Starting..

Pete/

Forum Newbie
Threads
New Starter, new coil, new relay. key starter get one second hit and stops. Can do this several times and just may start. Why so many attempts to start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Assuming you have a ride on mower
assuming what you mean is that the starter cranks the engine for 1/4 a turn

Then it would be a bad safety switch or the wiring between them

Assuming that the engine cranks 1 & 1/2 revolutions then stops or even bounces back a little
Then the decompressor is not working

Assuming the decompressor is not working then either it is broken or the valve lash is so big it defeats the decompressor

Lots of assumptions because we have no idea of what engine you have or what the problem actually is
I could have been definate but I dropped my crystal ball & the crack is obsecuring the vision of you on your mower .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can do this several times and just may start. Why so many attempts to start.
Sounds like a worn starter solenoid to me. Contacts are dead slash dying. Could be many things.

I see grounds were never checked. What ground???

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could be worst. I got a mower coming in this afternoon that has toasted one starter. Customer ordered the wrong starter and destroyed the starter pinion gear. Customer brings the new and old starter so I can swap the metal pinion over to new starter with the plastic. Wrong number of teeth. But this end in failure too. Customer comes with half of the metal pinion in hand. I thinking the engine is locked up which is not a good sign.

Pete/

Forum Newbie
Threads
Assuming you have a ride on mower
assuming what you mean is that the starter cranks the engine for 1/4 a turn

Then it would be a bad safety switch or the wiring between them

Assuming that the engine cranks 1 & 1/2 revolutions then stops or even bounces back a little
Then the decompressor is not working

Assuming the decompressor is not working then either it is broken or the valve lash is so big it defeats the decompressor

Lots of assumptions because we have no idea of what engine you have or what the problem actually is
I could have been definate but I dropped my crystal ball & the crack is obsecuring the vision of you on your mower .

Pete/

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are all the numbers i have on this mower. Riding Mower, Huskvarna, Briggs and Straton, 725cc22hp, model 441777, code 070125YG, type 07-26-E1. It seems that when it is keyed it will move then quit, sometimes I might get a full turn but not enough.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now we are getting some where
So either the decompression is not working or the carb is flooding & hydrolocking the engine or the starter motor has the wrong gear on it , one of the valves is not working
Gremlins loose inside the engine .
Now to eliminate the mower from the engine. slip both of the belts off the engine & see if it starts.
Remove both of the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand by pressing down on the screen with your hands and rotating it
You are looking for fuel gushing out of the plug holes
Remove the rocker covers and check that both of the pushrods are in place and that the valves are going in & out
The valves are the same size and the cams have the same grind so both should move the same amount & sit parallel to each other when fully released .
While you are there check the valve lash
Post the results .
WARNING
if the engine is full of fuel and you crank it plugs out the fuel can become a flame thrower

Pete/

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is fantastic. It made me very aware of things I have basically forgotten. You will hear from me as to what I discover. Thanks so much.

Gord Baker

Threads
After cleaning ALL terminals from battery to starter including solenoid and Ground, try a known good battery.