Motor for parts if anyone is interested?

laurin800

Threads
Hello, I have a 42" Husqvarna tractor that had a 20HP Intek. single cylinder engine that only had around 200 hours on it. It blew a head gasket 2 years in then a few months ago after driving the mower in to my shed and not having to mow for weeks due to the drought I go to start it and nothing. My neighbor and I tore it down and could not figure out why it wouldn't start so after looking at used and new tractors I decided to just buy a new motor for it since it looks almost brand new any why scrap a nice tractor? I wound up purchasing a replacement 19HP B&S EX1900 that has the exact same displacement as the 20HP Intek and the exact same cover with a different decal.

The motor I took out is in the box the new one came in and I was going to get rid of it but thought someone might have a use for the parts or even the knowledge to fix it and use it. I can say when it blew the head gasket early on the repair shop I used told me it was a known issue and a faulty design B&S was well aware of, could be why I couldn't find any information on that particular motor when it went down back in September. The only thing I had to do was use the original muffler because the new one was too big I would have had to cut into the "hood" of the mower. When it ran it ran well so if anyone has a use for it I am offering it up to any takers. I am in Massachusetts but since it's boxed up I am sure it can be shipped, obviously the taker is prepaying for shipping. Here are some photo's of the tractor and both motors.

I don't know why but it won't let me upload the rest of the pictures but the one here is the motor I will be getting rid of if nobody has a use for it.

View attachment 62220
Those inteks are famous for having the counterbalance come apart. Have replaced one already. If you are running a single cyl. Intek, USE SYNTHETIC, and never run wide open without a load. They’ll last a lot longer.

Last edited:

CoopsDad

Threads
Those inteks are famous for having the counterbalance come apart. Have replaced one already. If you are running a single cyl. Intek, USE SYNTHETIC, and never run wide open without a load. They’ll last a lot longer.
I did run synthetic, Royal Purple actually and used the tractor with a triple bagger (modified Craftsman bagger) also use a thatch rake and plug areator both with 2 bags of sand on the deck for weight plus I'm 220lbs so always has a load on it 🤔😂

TobyU

Threads
Actually, it's not nearly that common to have balancer problems in them.
Very few of these engines actually have any catastrophic failures and the most common would be the head gasket and some of them do have the ACR problem on the camshaft but even that's not a high percentage of them but I feel that any percentage is too much because it's a terrible design that should be fixed and should have been fixed a long time ago.
The balancer issue isn't actually a common problem and it makes little difference what type of oil you use.
Most of these engines are run on standard SAE 30 oil and most of them are quite neglected as far as oil changes go. Many of them go years without having an oil change. Some probably go 8 or 10 years and have only had the oil changed once or twice as the people just continue to top off as they get low.
I have worked on hundreds of these engines and seen probably at least a couple of thousand many with the oil dark as can be but rarely ever a counterbalance failure.
Far more of them are locked up due to not checking the oil and being critically low then a balancer problem.

It does happen, it's just not a very high percentage of them and not even a very large number of cases.
If you've ever had a problem with that then I highly recommend you check the RPMs with an accurate tack and get it down to the 3,050 to 3250 that it's probably spec'd for. Remember, the days of running these things at 3600 RPMs has been long since gone except for a few exceptions on commercial equipment and some generators.