Modifying old steel discharge shield mount to newer plastic style shield

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / Modifying old steel discharge shield mount to newer plastic style shield
Just wanted to put this up here for owners of older G'Hoppers with the heavy steel grass discharge shields. I knew the one that came on my 72" would only get beaten up even worse than it already was, so I removed it... but I still wanted something to keep debris from flying and possibly causing personal injury or property damage from rocks, sticks, etc.

I took the stock steel grass discharge shield mount and cut out a chunk then butt welded the two halves back together. (You can see the "tanlines" where the mount originally sat.) I used a couple of stainless steel bolts to plug up the old mount holes, then I drilled new mounting holes much closer to the edge of the deck in order for the new shield to fit. It isn't a perfect match, but as you can see in the photo it's very close, and at least the plastic shield has some give to it when brushing up against trees and other stuff when trimming in close, unlike the heavy steel unit. Something for you older steel shield owners to consider if you don't want to damage fragile shrubbery or tree trunks, or if your old steel shield is just beat all to H. :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 16794