Model 13AJ609g766 wont go in forward or reverse

wardm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulley on top of transmission seems to spin when the pedal is depressed, but no attempt at forward or reverse motion. It's a hydrostatic transmission. I removed the brake and cleaned up the pins and regreased them as the rear was locked up originally. Now I can push it back and forth in neutral. Could the drive belt be worn enough to spin the pulley but not spin it fast enough to make it go? I don't know much about the way a hydrostatic works.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
double check that the bypass valve is not still in the push position.

wardm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe that it is in moving into both forward and reverse. I guess my real question is can the top pulley that spins the shaft going into the transmission spin without actually moving the wheels, ie could the belt be slipping enough on the pulley that it's not spinning fast enough to actually develop pressure to move it? I believe I smell a little belt slipping - when the wheels were locked up could I have ruined the belt trying to make it go?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is a CVT transaxle (manual single speed transaxle) and not a hydrostatic according to model number posted. You are supposed to able to push it back and forth in neutral with the brake off. You must put transaxle in either forward or reverse before engages and moves. BTW when in forward or reverse then the input pulley and belts will hold back on pushing the mower. IF doesnt then either the shifter linkage is not working or there is internal damage to the transaxle.

wardm

Forum Newbie
Threads
well learn something new everyday. Makes sense. SO when I had the rear up off the ground I could turn one wheel in one direction and the other wheel went in the opposite - normal behavior I believe. Right now I believe it will push in any selector position. So some issue between input pulley and rest of the rear? If I think its in gear - and the pulley turns - then the wheels should turn? If so, then either it's not in gear or there is an internal issue...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
well learn something new everyday. Makes sense. SO when I had the rear up off the ground I could turn one wheel in one direction and the other wheel went in the opposite - normal behavior I believe. Right now I believe it will push in any selector position. So some issue between input pulley and rest of the rear? If I think its in gear - and the pulley turns - then the wheels should turn? If so, then either it's not in gear or there is an internal issue...
Correct. With the shifter in either forward or reverse turning the input pulley should turn the wheels. If not it is likely the shifting fork is damage but could always be something else too inside the tranny. Item 22 in the following diagram is the shifting fork.As you see it is a fairly simple unit
Medium

wardm

Forum Newbie
Threads
SO turning one wheel whether in gear or not the other wheel should turn opposite - which mine seems to do. That would seem to indicate driveshaft is all ok. It's not clear from the figure exactly how the shift fork engages forward and reverse, but that sure seems like its the likely culprit in my case, as I can't see any of the other shafts as likely failure points. The shift fork looks to me like the weak link

dougand3

Threads
It's not clear from the figure exactly how the shift fork engages forward and reverse
Shift Fork 22 slides Clutch Collar 17 either Right or Left (1 is forward, 1 is reverse) to engage bevel gear 15. Then Pinion Gear 9 turns output shaft/pulley.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Doug, the pinion gear #9 which attaches to the input shaft #7 turns the bevel gears #15 which in turn turns the drive shaft #19 which then turns the differential #13.

It is the meshing of the pinion gear and the bevel that affect the transaxle whine in operation. As problem with conventional auto rear end where the heel and toe of this meshing is off.