Export thread

[Mechanical Issue][Help] John Deere D130 engine wont turn over

X

xXPANAGE28

Am I asking for help in the right place?

I bought a new battery, and it sends electricity to my mower as its lights turn on. Also i hear an attempt of the engine to turn over, when i turn the key all the way, but it ultimately fails after 1 sec. Also, my mower makes a loud whining/squeal sound when it attempts to turn over the engine.

I don't think its the solenoid, bc it looks pristine (the copper looks in very good shape), but idk if there could be damage on the inside.

I don't know a lot about mechanical or electrical issues, and I suck at fixing my tractor, but i am working really hard at it. If you guys need anymore information (video, soundclip, pics etc) pls let me know!

B

bertsmobile1

Take the spark plug out and try again.
The squeal is the starter motor busting it's balls trying to turn the engine over.

smallengineguy

smallengineguy

It could be the starter seizing up, or the valve lash is incorrect, so the compression release system isn't working correctly when it cranks.

X

xXPANAGE28

Take the spark plug out and try again.
The squeal is the starter motor busting it's balls trying to turn the engine over.

I took out both spark plugs and attempted to turn it on. Nothing happen. There's barely even a squeal anymore, just one click. When i turn the key to turn it on i'll get one click, regardless for how long i keep it turnt.

It could be the starter seizing up

I googled what a seized up starter sounds like and in a video of a mechanic working on a car, it sounded like a loud clack every second or so (while turning the key) accompanied by a subtle grinding sound (as if something is tryna do work).

B

bullet bob

I think you need to throughly clean your battery cables and make sure they are tight. Also throw a volt meter on the battery and get a reading before you try to start it and then DURING trying to start it.

X

xXPANAGE28

I am linking videos on what happens when i turn the key. You can hear the specific sounds in them.

I think you need to throughly clean your battery cables and make sure they are tight
Trust me, they are sufficiently tight. I will upload pics of the cleanliness of the battery. there is minimal corrosion.
red
red 2
black

X

xXPANAGE28

Ok, i am starting to think the solenoid is at fault here. Someone suggested that i tap with a few times with a hammer and now the engine is turning over... somewhat

B

bullet bob

So did you ever check the voltage, first with no load, then under a load?

gotomow

gotomow

Now the battery seems low. If you put the charger on the battery how many amps does it draw when charging? I'd definitely replace that solenoid.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Load test the battery. If it's good, then adjust the valves. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need a new cam.