making progress on my 5024

ironhorse

Threads
engine is mostly done, waiting on decals and need to make the air filter screens, is otherwise ready to bolt down, now it's on to the deck. hope to have this one done by next week. i'll post pics, as i go:wink:[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCF0089.jpg
    DSCF0089.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 31

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the pictures, ironhorse.

It looks really good. In fact, it looks so good that you may be tempted to just keep it on display and not do any mowing with it. :laughing: None of my mowers are any where near that level of cosmetic beauty. :laughing:

ironhorse

Threads
Thanks for the pictures, ironhorse.

It looks really good. In fact, it looks so good that you may be tempted to just keep it on display and not do any mowing with it. :laughing: None of my mowers are any where near that level of cosmetic beauty. :laughing:

thanks two-stroke, i may not have gone this far with it right away, but when i got the mower in my hands finally, i found it had a worn lower crank bushing, so i pulled it completely apart, good thing, as the rings were also starting to stick from carbon build up, it was otherwise in pretty good shape inside. i already had a n.o.s. blower housing that only needed painting, and also had extra new primer shaft, gas cap, and picked up the chrome cap nuts at work. no, this one will be just to hang on to, as the value of these seam to only increase:thumbsup:

Fireman 123

Threads
Did you have to mill the old bronze bushing out, and replace with a needle bearing?

ironhorse

Threads
Did you have to mill the old bronze bushing out, and replace with a needle bearing?

that was my first thought, but i found a bronze bushing the right i.d. and was able to bore the crankcase just to where the original bushing stops and pressed in the bushing to that point, it worked great, tightened the crank right back up, there is extra room in this area for the bushing, and if it doesn't work out, i can still bore it the rest of the way out and install a needle bearing, this mower will only be seeing limited use anyway, but i wouldn't be afraid to make it a daily user with that repair:wink:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would use it as a show mover and not let grass anywhere near it, lovely work...:thumbsup:

Fireman 123

Threads
What type of machine did you use to mill it out?

ironhorse

Threads
What type of machine did you use to mill it out?

i used a finish reamer that i had for doing briggs crank bearings, yeah i know, not professional, but wanted to see if it could be done without taking it to the machine shop, again, i stopped at the lower point of the original bushing, that way if i find it wont hold up, i can still have it done at the machine shop, not much material needed to be removed for the bushing i used and as i started to press in the bushing, i would stop and run the crank down through to see if there was any binding, it seams to be just fine, and again it will only be used on a limited basis, once running i'll be checking on it:smile:

Fireman 123

Threads
Good deal. Yeah, a machine shop around here quoted me $50, but that was to install the needle bearing as well. Never had it done, though. It would have been nice of LB to have press-in bushings instead of the pour-in type. Oh well

ironhorse

Threads
Good deal. Yeah, a machine shop around here quoted me $50, but that was to install the needle bearing as well. Never had it done, though. It would have been nice of LB to have press-in bushings instead of the pour-in type. Oh well

yeah, these crankcases are getting hard to find, thats why i tried the repair i did first, if it works out, i'll make up some more bushngs