Main differences between the ZT HD and the Pro Turn, or next higher level mower?

RustyBoy

Threads
  • / Main differences between the ZT HD and the Pro Turn, or next higher level mower?
I have bought several things from my dealer and he has always given me his best price(same as his Commercial customers). I got the bimini top first, then the mulch kit and last Fall got the Hex Striper kit. He actually sold me the mulch kit last Spring at the 2012 price he gave me when I bought the mower from him which was $156 plus tax. I'm thinking it was around $180 MSRP for 2013 but you will have to check with Ariens.com or your dealer for the current price(most likely, still < $200). It took me about an hour after jacking up the Pro-Turn with the MoJack to completely clean up the belly of the deck, install the mulch blades that came with the kit and install the baffles(approx. 8 bolts). Cleaning the deck took most of the time. The baffles are VERY heavy gauge steel and the deck accumulates VERY LITTLE if any clippings underneath after mowing. I am very pleased with the resulting cut(with no trace of clippings). I haven't used the striper but a couple of times but am impressed so far!! So now....are you working on your Christmas gift list for your wife????:0)

Yes, Christmas may come early. Thought about the mulch kit since I'm seeing more clippings than I thought would be on the lawn. I bought a discharge chute cover that I haven't yet installed it as the bolts on the deck are difficult to reach. I was thinking that the discharge cover would more evenly spread the clipping and preclude needing a mulch kit, just not sure. If not, then I guess I'll have the dealer install the mulch kit when the mower is in for the transmission fluid change. Question: How do you raise the rear wheels? I ask, as the bolt I need to remove for the discharge cover is at the back of the deck, closer to the rear wheel.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Main differences between the ZT HD and the Pro Turn, or next higher level mower?
Yes, Christmas may come early. Thought about the mulch kit since I'm seeing more clippings than I thought would be on the lawn. I bought a discharge chute cover that I haven't yet installed it as the bolts on the deck are difficult to reach. I was thinking that the discharge cover would more evenly spread the clipping and preclude needing a mulch kit, just not sure. If not, then I guess I'll have the dealer install the mulch kit when the mower is in for the transmission fluid change. Question: How do you raise the rear wheels? I ask, as the bolt I need to remove for the discharge cover is at the back of the deck, closer to the rear wheel.

Is that discharge chute a Gravely product? I ask because the Mulch kit comes with a baffle that covers the discharge and I didn't have to remove any existing bolts like you describe. Can you post a picture of the discharge cover and the area where the bolt is that you have to remove? Also, I don't know if you would want to block the discharge if you are keeping the OEM hi-lift blades that came on it. Usually, when you install a mulch kit, you also install mulch blades or Gator blades that are designed for mulching. It depends on what the dealer wants to install the mulch kit if you decide to get it....it wasn't very difficult for a DIY project. I did have to jack up my rear wheels to install the Hex Striper kit(now that was a little more difficult installation) and I just used my floor hydraulic jack on the frame going under the mower at the rear engine area.

RustyBoy

Threads
Is that discharge chute a Gravely product? I ask because the Mulch kit comes with a baffle that covers the discharge and I didn't have to remove any existing bolts like you describe. Can you post a picture of the discharge cover and the area where the bolt is that you have to remove? Also, I don't know if you would want to block the discharge if you are keeping the OEM hi-lift blades that came on it. Usually, when you install a mulch kit, you also install mulch blades or Gator blades that are designed for mulching. It depends on what the dealer wants to install the mulch kit if you decide to get it....it wasn't very difficult for a DIY project. I did have to jack up my rear wheels to install the Hex Striper kit(now that was a little more difficult installation) and I just used my floor hydraulic jack on the frame going under the mower at the rear engine area.

Yes, the discharge cover is a Gravely option. Go to the Gravely site, then click on Pro-Turn, then click towards the bottom of the screen on Accessories; you'll see the description and photo of the discharge cover kit. Let me know if you can't locate it and I'll send a picture. According to the catalog, when the discharge cover is installed, the clippings stay where they are cut. To install the cover, you have to remove the baffle that is held by two screws. Then you remove two other screws that leaves openings for the discharge cover's bolts to fit through. I never thought about using a car hydraulic jack to lift the rear of the mower. I'll have to look tomorrow to see if I can locate the frame area you mentioned where the jack is positioned as I don't want to damage anything.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the discharge cover is a Gravely option. Go to the Gravely site, then click on Pro-Turn, then click towards the bottom of the screen on Accessories; you'll see the description and photo of the discharge cover kit. Let me know if you can't locate it and I'll send a picture. According to the catalog, when the discharge cover is installed, the clippings stay where they are cut. To install the cover, you have to remove the baffle that is held by two screws. Then you remove two other screws that leaves openings for the discharge cover's bolts to fit through. I never thought about using a car hydraulic jack to lift the rear of the mower. I'll have to look tomorrow to see if I can locate the frame area you mentioned where the jack is positioned as I don't want to damage anything.

Yep, you're right...the discharge cover looks very similar to the outside baffle that came with my mulch kit. However, I didn't have to remove the rear tire to install mine. It's been a year, but I would remember having to do that. That may accomplish what you want and was probably a lot cheaper than the complete mulch kit. Let us know how well it works after you get it installed. Hope the installation job goes easy!!!

RustyBoy

Threads
Yep, you're right...the discharge cover looks very similar to the outside baffle that came with my mulch kit. However, I didn't have to remove the rear tire to install mine. It's been a year, but I would remember having to do that. That may accomplish what you want and was probably a lot cheaper than the complete mulch kit. Let us know how well it works after you get it installed. Hope the installation job goes easy!!!

I really just need to raise the rear tire to gain more access to the nut holding the baffle. I can't install the discharge cover without removing the baffle. Yes, hoping that the discharge cover will eliminate my need for a mulching kit. Though I realize that the clippings won't be as fine as would be when using a mulching kit but I thought I would try it. Plus, the discharge cover reduces the width of the mower as the chute is removed. Got to get out there today and look at the jack point you mentioned.