LX425 oil leak, runs rough

Jond1989

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi new here

I have an LX426 and started having some issues this year. It runs rough, when it does run. If I throttle up, it stalls out. I noticed an oil leak on the front of the mower/engine. Getting ready to tear it apart and see whats going on. But thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts please?

Only has about 20 hours or less on it. I dont use it much and take good care of it otherwise. Bought it new several years ago.

Thanks!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a thought. Why don't you post the model type and code no. of the engine so we would know what the heck engine you have.

Jond1989

Forum Newbie
Threads
Typo on my part, its a LX425. Engine is a Kohler Courage 20, SV470-SV620.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Still did not tell which of the engines in the range you have. Model Spec. and serial no. Some have a gasket on the valve cover and some use silicone . 20 041 13-S is for the valve cover gasket if it has one if not it uses silicone.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boil clean the carb.

Go to a local garage sale. Get a crockpot and cook away on some carbs.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most of the single cylinder Courage engine has a rocker cover that tends to leak due to the cork gasket. Kohler switch over to RTV to seal these but the RTV must applied properly or it leak again shortly.
1656932713294.png

The RTV must be allowed to fully cure before starting the engine as oil prevents the RTV from setting up fully otherwise.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont use it much and take good care of it otherwise.
Tells me you have old fuel. Or water in the gas tank. Or old gas with water.

Drain the tank and clean it out with compressed air. Boil clean the carb. Install new fuel line and filter. Fuel shutoff valve would be nice. Fresh non E-10 gas is a winner.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Star mentioned, the oil leak will probably be from the gasket that has gone hard and is now leaking
The design is not the best and made worse by people over tightening the cover bolts to the point they deform the steel cover
They should be tightened to 8 ft lbs so the gasket is just compressed within it's springy range
Usually they are chopped up
I tighten the finger tight by rolling the deep socket between my fingers till it stops then 1/4 turn
If it leaks then another 1/4 turn .
And that is after I have knocked the bolt holes flat again .

As Slomo mentioned the fuel will probably have gone stale by now and the carb will most likely have some corrosion clogging up the jets
Clean the carb as per the instructions Here
Go to Kohler and download the service manual for your engine and adjust the valve lash as per the instructions
Replace the gasket, Prime Line , Rotary, Oregon & Stens all do aftermarket gaskets & the Prime line ones seem to be better .
In fact I use mostly Prime Line parts for Kohler engines