LX277 strips of grass

Tyrael

Forum Newbie
Threads
we recently purchased a home and got a lx277 as part of the house. It has the 48c deck with the mulch kit installed. I noticed that it wasn't cutting well on my first attempt and began to investigate it. I found the blades were shot. I pulled them out and replaced them with brand new john deere mulch blades. I tried to mow it again. It was better but still striping everywhere. I found the deck was out of level left to right so I leveled it back. Again I tested it and again it is out of level. The front is slightly lower than the back as it should be. It is leaving 2 stripes between the blades. I checked the spindles and everything feels good(not loose or wobbly). I can mow in a creep and it still does it. What am I missing?

Note: The mower only has 195 hours on it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Blades installed properly? Right side up/down?
Lifts go up

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I bought one of your used push mowers. Person said it didn't cut good. Blade was installed upside down.

slomo

Tyrael

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I bought one of your used push mowers. Person said it didn't cut good. Blade was installed upside down.

slomo
I put the new ones back on how the old ones were on since you want to be an arse about it. No need for a condescending and pedantic keyboard warrior to be a prick, eh?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Old ones aren't always on the right way too, just flip them over and see how it cuts, i too sometimes have to think for a minute to be sure i get em on right.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put the new ones back on how the old ones were on since you want to be an arse about it. No need for a condescending and pedantic keyboard warrior to be a prick, eh?
No worries here buddy. Good luck with your blades on upside down. Don't go to any other forums crying about your mower not cutting proper. (y)

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Old ones aren't always on the right way too, just flip them over and see how it cuts, i too sometimes have to think for a minute to be sure i get em on right.
He knows how to install blades, now. Keep the cutting edge down towards the grass. Not telling you anything new ScrubCadet10.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you throwing , bagging or mulching ?
When you mow is the discharge chute clear ?
Are you sure the belt is correct & mounted correctly ?
I see a few 3 blade decks with the belt routed wrong so the belt just kisses the middle pulley.
The belt must be in contact with every pulley for at least 1/2 the circumference or the pulley will slip
Ideally each pulley will have belt contact for 2/3 of its circumference.
As this is an inherited mower every reason to suspect wrong parts fitted wrongly.

Particularly this happens with decks in the 40" to 50" sizes because they can be a 2 blade or 3 blade system.
If the deck belt is properly routed & tight enough you should be able to turn the engine over by rotating the blades.
IF not there is too much slack in the belts or the pulleys are worn out.
That mower is around 20 years old and that is plenty of time for the pulleys to wear so wide that the belt is running on the root of the V and not on the sides.

NB REMOVE PLUG LEADS BEFORE TRYING TO TURN THE BLADES