LX277 PTO

wfrpalm

Threads
Today while mowing the PTO on my 2003 LX277 disengaged by itself, this happened 2 or 3 times and I was able to engage it after it happened. I mowed another hour and this did not happen again, any thoughts?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all wiring for PTO from back of dash to clutch & air gap at windows in clutch.
Also with key removed, unplug PTO wiring harness at back of dash & clean dirt from switch & harness with a couple q-tips. I applied a small amount of Silicone Dielectric Grease to harness plug. Walmart & Auto parts stores carry it. Watch video.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 97405

I've seen a few things cause this:
1. If you were on an incline, you could have come off the seat just enough for the safety system to cut off the deck, but not long enough for it to shut down the engine.
2. Your seat switch or PTO switch could have a 'bad' spot in it, from age and use, that could be creating a random problem.
3. Due to age, the RIO switch on the reverse pedal linkage could be getting slightly engaged, when the pedals return to neutral, just enough to make contact to shut the deck off randomly. Adjusting the switch usually fixes that.
4. I can pretty much rule out the coil going bad on the PTO clutch since it stayed on for an hour after that. When the coil starts going bad, they usually work for an incrementally less period of time every time they cut off.

wfrpalm

Threads
Hey Will1988 those all seem plausible, thanks. I will see when this happens the next time I use the tractor and keep these in mind.