Lumpy lawn caused my worm casts

Nils

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I have a new lawn that was layed 2 years ago. It used to be nice a flat and easy to mow. Now, I have seen a lot of worm casts all over my soil and it's causing lumps of soil patches. This year my lawn is lumpy and it's difficult to use the lawn mower. Even when I walk over it, my feet sinks in a little. It appears the lawn has lifted higher from the ground by couple of inches.
In this situation, can I use a lawn roller to flatten the lawn even? Then perhaps aerate it after flattening to avoid compaction.
I have attached some photos that I've taken today after trimming the lawn.

I live in UK and it's getting little warmer now so I need to start doing something now to take care of the lawn.

If someone can advise me please.
Thanks in advanced.
lawn1.JPGlawn3.JPGlawn5.JPGlawn6.JPG

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd talk with the local town biologist. There are some worm species that eventually eat everything on the ground. If they are just normal worms, and not the invasive ones, I'd let the yard dry out a little and rake it to even it out.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a lawn roller to smooth it out & cut the grass a bit higher..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And toos some sand on it before you roll
In a corner away from from where you walk dig up te grass to about 1' and have a look at what is underneath

That is the sort of damage that is done by white curl grubs, lawn beetles, blind mole crickets and other large ground burrowing insects
Could even be mice
Worm castings are very soft and worms basically suck the soil in one end & poo it out the other amd rarely ever leave a mound.

What went in before the turf was laid ?

Nils

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last week, I've cut the lawn for the first time since last year summer. And it's back again. Actually looks a little rough. These worms are driving me crazy and making the lawn look horrible.

I think I'll need to put some lawn sand on it and roll it out with a heavy lawn roller.

Any other advise would be appreciated please.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-09-13-40-34-933-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-09-13-40-34-933-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2024-03-09-13-39-56-901-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-09-13-39-56-901-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 2

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could always be worst. I got moles all over the place. I have put braille signs giving them directions on where to head and believe or not it seems to working they are leaving my place for the neighbor's place.:LOL:

Mean isn't it?