Ltx1040

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My ol cubby is giving me trouble. Fired it up to mow this afternoon, after about 25 seconds I smelled burning rubber (electrical). The 18 gauge wire that runs from the solenoid +, and goes back into the Loom was HOT. Melted at a splice/connection. I got my meter and set it to continuity, no shorts to ground. I crimped a butt connector on it, fired it up. The wire still gets hot, but not to melting or smoking point... I can hold my finger on it for about 8 seconds. I also just noticed, I can my pull key out of the ignition switch in the, in the on position, and it'll stay running. I'm wondering if I have a problem with my switch?
Running voltage is 13.7.. no other wires are getting hot
13wx90as009

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Best i can tell is it's the accessory wire. Looks like the anti afterfire solenoid pulls power from it as well
1662937175393.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question. Does this wire get hot with the ignition in run and the engine not running? IF so unplug the carburetor solenoid and test again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Wire doesn't get hot with key on, engine off. Starts getting hot as soon as the engine fires up.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Kind of makes me think a charging issue, voltage on the wire is 13.7 consistently. Unless it's putting out too much amperage?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is what I am thinking now too.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you know of a testing procedure for the voltage regulator? I've been looking but i can't find one.
Cub Cadet doesn't show the charging system, but Kohler (SV590-0220) shows the usual Kohler regulator.

Edit: I found a in depth tutorial someone put up of testing the regulator.
I went back out earlier and it seems if I immediately put the engine to full throttle, the wire heats up much quicker.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i haven't had much time to deeply troubleshoot this scrubbycadet, just a few minutes here and there...
it seems to me if the wire was getting too hot due to a charging issue, the wires coming from the regulator would get hot too, but they don't.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, got it fixed.. or something.
The wire that goes from the Solenoid + to the ignition switch is connected with a bullet connector. It melted it at that point the other day, which i redid.with a butt connector.
while troubleshooting today, i found that the heat dissipated quickly, past that connection...and the wire was completely cool throughout the loom. i replaced a 6" section of wire that goes from the solenoid + and connected to the original wire, and no more heat... the wire i replaced was an aluminum wire with a cloth(?) coating on it... appeared corrosion got into the ring terminal connector crimp as well. All is well now and ran it for 30 minutes and everything stayed as cool as a cucumber.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I was just thinking that today about a bad crimp connection.