LTX 1050VT will not turn over.

dahermit

Threads
I have an eleven year-old Cub Cadet that will not start. It ran fine one night, shut it off, would not start in the morning. The solenoid would click, but not turn the engine over. Replaced the solenoid...now when I turn the key to start, the solenoid buzzes.

Just to avoid dumb suggestions, yes the parking brake is on, the cutting solenoid is pushed in.

Charged the battery, tried again...just a buzz no start.

I turned on the key and used a jumper cable from the positive post on the battery to the post on the starter. Starter makes a slight click, but does not engage.

At this point I am thinking it is the starter...but being old and having lots of terminals on the solinoid, I do not rule out miswiring it when I put the new one on. My question is: If the key is on, and I use a jumper cable to get juice to the starter (by-passing the solenoid and any faulty lock-out switches), shouldn't the stater engage (and spin), when contacting the jumper cable?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If by using jumper cables to try to start the engine (positive cable to starter, negative cable to a good chassis ground) and the engine will not turn over, I think you may be right, bad starter. But if the starter spins, I suspect you have a bad battery.

Threads
Agreed, if the starter is getting power and will not spin at all, you have a starter problem. You can try tapping on the starter with a hammer as a temporary fix. If that works, it's definitely the starter. You can also try yelling at it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go tapping the starter with a hammer. By doing so you are risking a great chance of breaking the magnets inside the starter, then it will be junk for sure. I can’t begin to count the number of starters I’ve had to replace because of broken magnets. I’m willing to bet at least 50% of those were good before someone took a hammer to them.

dahermit

Threads
I have an eleven year-old Cub Cadet that will not start. It ran fine one night, shut it off, would not start in the morning. The solenoid would click, but not turn the engine over. Replaced the solenoid...now when I turn the key to start, the solenoid buzzes.

Just to avoid dumb suggestions, yes the parking brake is on, the cutting solenoid is pushed in.

Charged the battery, tried again...just a buzz no start.

I turned on the key and used a jumper cable from the positive post on the battery to the post on the starter. Starter makes a slight click, but does not engage.

At this point I am thinking it is the starter...but being old and having lots of terminals on the solinoid, I do not rule out miswiring it when I put the new one on. My question is: If the key is on, and I use a jumper cable to get juice to the starter (by-passing the solenoid and any faulty lock-out switches), shouldn't the stater engage (and spin), when contacting the jumper cable?
Addendum:
I took the starter out of the machine and connected it via jumper cables directly to my battery Red to positive post, Black to negative post (starter: negative on starter bracket, positive to the terminal). No spin on starter. Starter has been ordered.