LTX 1050VT will not start in cold weather.

dahermit

Threads
B&S 44M777 Intek engine, 3 years old, changed to 10-30 Weight oil, new plugs, new air filter, 200 hours on engine. I have good connections at battery, 12.66 volts at battery. Starts immediately when jumped with battery charger with jump-start cycle.
Seems to turn over slightly slow, turns over a little faster when connected to battery charger using jump feature...then it starts.
What is the likely cause of the slow starting? Light oil, new plugs, new air filter, what am I missing?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Sounds like you have found the problem.... the battery alone is not cranking the engine fast enough, but with some additional help is able to do the job...
Check the battery First... (low charge) or low voltage...
then check all the battery connections for a voltage drop... ( clean tight connections, ... ) :smile:KennyV

dahermit

Threads
I have checked the voltage and the connections:
I have good connections at battery, 12.66 volts at battery
Still have 12.66 volts on the connections. I cleaned and tightened them...to no avail, still a starting problem in the cold.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you connect another battery it starts... so, there is something about that battery...?
What is the voltage While it is cranking the engine? :smile:KennyV

possum

Threads
Im with Kenny, charge the battery and take it to a shop to have it load tested. More than likely will need a new one.

Poneykeg

Threads
Your battery more than likely needs replaced and/or check all grounds.

garnder

Threads
I have a 17 hp intek that did the same thing in cold weather, i had to jump start it in cold weather. It takes more amps in cold weather to turn the engine over. i replaced the battery with a higher cranking amp, this worked for me. ( good luck ):smile:

dahermit

Threads
I took the battery in and had it load tested. It was bad. Bought a new one, now starts no matter how cold it is outside. Thanks for the input.