LT1018 electrical start problem

mgilmore213

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a LT1018 and it just developed a problem. I had problems starting it up and thought it must be the battery so jumped it off and it actually started and ran for 30 minutes or so. I had to stop for a minute to help my wife and then got back on it and it would not start again. Tried to jump it and it didn't do anything. I figured it was a bad battery so tried charging it and it seemed ok, put it back on and mower still would not start. Took the battery in to Autozone and it checked out ok. Decided it was the starter then and pulled it out and had it checked at a rebuild shop but guy said it checked out ok. Decided it was the solenoid so changed it out. Same result .. when I turn the key to start it, the lights will come on but nothing happens, nothing turns over.
I am not sure what I should check next. I don't have an electrical diagram. Are there some fuses or something? Also, I guess there is a switch under the seat and when you push in the brake but am not sure the best way to check all this stuff out electrically. Please advise. I guess I should test the starter somehow on the mower or maybe test the solenoid again in place even though it is a new one? Maybe I am missing something else completely?
Thanks for any adivice you can provide ... I'm just frustrated right now!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very hard to trouble shoot a electrical problem without a wiring diagram. I believe the 1000 series cubs are made by MTD. So if you can find a MTD wiring diagram it might help you. The last 1000 series I had that same problem with in my shop has a bad PTO switch, but I found the problem with the help of a wiring diagram and mulit-volt meter. If you are just going to change parts get some help with someone who knows electric to help you trouble shoot.

Deerlane

Threads
Do you have head lights with key on? Will the PTO make a click noise with key on and pulling switch on? Will engine make any effort to turn over? Will the led key switch work. Fuse is behind gas tank. 20 amp.