LT1000 shifter & brake problems

flocksoflys

Threads
I've got a 2001 LT1000 that I put new belts, a pulley & a mandrel on it last week. Since I put it back together I have little to no brakes. I checked & adjusted the brakes & it made very little difference. Also, when I put it in gear the shifter jams & won't move until I shut the mower off. The mower had no problems until I took the deck out & did this work. I've got a manual & everything looks like it's in the right place. I'm stumped.:mur:

flocksoflys

Threads
Post model number. Manual Craftsman Lawn tractor 917271634 | SearsPartsDirect Click download then bottom left of screen for manual. Does tractor move, can you drive tractor?
Do you hear any unusual noise when driving?

Yes. The tractor moves & mows real good. I've got an acre & mowed it 2 days ago. There are no noises. Other than very little brakes & the shifter jamming, it runs, drives & mows just like it did before I did this work. A long shot, could to short of a drive belt cause this? I got the right part # but didn't size it up with the old one to see if it was the same.
The old one came off real easy, the new one was a little harder to install. I figured the old one was stretched & that's why it came off so easy.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes. The tractor moves & mows real good. I've got an acre & mowed it 2 days ago. There are no noises. Other than very little brakes & the shifter jamming, it runs, drives & mows just like it did before I did this work. A long shot, could to short of a drive belt cause this? I got the right part # but didn't size it up with the old one to see if it was the same.
The old one came off real easy, the new one was a little harder to install. I figured the old one was stretched & that's why it came off so easy.
One more thing, apply some grease to sector and pinion gears on steering shaft.

Yes it could be your problem if you installed incorrect belt. This is correct drive belt:
Replacement Lawn tractor ground drive belt #532138255 for CRAFTSMAN Lawn & Garden/Yard/Farm #917271634 | SearsPartsDirect
Also lower deck to lowest setting, engine off, and retrace your steps and inspect everything you took loose and reinstalled.

flocksoflys

Threads
I've got it fixed. I finally had the time to drop the deck & put the old drive belt back on. I sized them up & the old one was a bit longer than the new one. Both have the same part #. Thanks for the help.