Engine lt1000 rough running video attached

Jim1590

Threads
Figured I will start new thread with new issue. New to me lt1000. New oil filter, air filter and pre filter, new spark plug, new fuel lines, oil change.

Had a bad head gasket, changed that. Valves adjusted to 0.004 intake, 0.006 exhaust. This is first running. Sounds pretty rough to me.

Also fair amount of smoke from muffler but that is probably just old oil burning off.

Tips?

Rough running: https://youtu.be/b5c0E6EF5x8

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Figured I will start new thread with new issue. New to me lt1000. New oil filter, air filter and pre filter, new spark plug, new fuel lines, oil change.

Had a bad head gasket, changed that. Valves adjusted to 0.004 intake, 0.006 exhaust. This is first running. Sounds pretty rough to me.

Also fair amount of smoke from muffler but that is probably just old oil burning off.

Tips?

Rough running: https://youtu.be/b5c0E6EF5x8

I would call that "surging" Do a search on this site for that.

I saw a youtube video about that...I was looking for Mikuni carburetor rebuilt. The guy explained what was happening, but I sure can't remember what the fix is.

Jim1590

Threads
Thinking the carb needs cleaning or replacing. They are 20 to 30 to replace so I wanted to source them out before cleaning and maybe breaking....

I have a 697216. Can't find anything in it anyone know a newer part number?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the 697216 comes up invalid on the briggs dealer site. Get us the model, type and code so we can look up the parts for you.

Jim1590

Threads
Ok it's a 794572 carb.

I cheated and called a repair shop.

I can get a new one for 60. The rebuild kits are 30.

I am going to break it down and clean it out and see if the gaskets can be reused.

Failing that. What makes the most sense, buying a new one or buying the rebuild kit.

Also is a dirty carb a possible cause for the surging.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
dirty carb causes about 90% or surging problems. if the carb is 60 and the kit is 30 the carb would be a better investment from a dealer standpoint. If the customer wants to clean and install the kit himself, that is up to him. In some cases leads the customer back to the dealer to purchase the carb, because the kit didn't fix it.

Jim1590

Threads
Thanks. I will give it a cleaning and if that does not fix, I will order in the new carb.

Heck, I am only increasing the resale value!

Incidentally, the shop I talked to wanted 35 for kit and 40 for the labor to do it themselves.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Thanks. I will give it a cleaning and if that does not fix, I will order in the new carb.

Heck, I am only increasing the resale value!

Incidentally, the shop I talked to wanted 35 for kit and 40 for the labor to do it themselves.

Mine is doing the same thing. It's a 21hp opposed twin. But, when I choke it a little, it smooths out. So I'm thinking adjustment.
And with this carb, only one adjustment on the carb itself. The other is mounted on the engine and a bunch of levers and connecting rods..

Before you take it off, if you haven't already, when it starts reving like in the video, pull the choke out a little and see if it smooths out for you to. I'd really like to know before I take mine off.

Jim1590

Threads
Mine died as soon as I tried moving it up a small incline.

When I lowered the choke it actually got worse.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Mine runs smoothly when I choke it some. I guess I better learn how to adjust it.
thank you.