LT1000 Brake Setup - Brakes not working

craftsmannc

Threads
Hi,

I bought this mower a few weeks ago and the brake never worked - parking break on and there's no resistance at all. I'm going to order new pads and replace those anyway, but the setup of the push rod and spring etc doesn't seem right. The bracket that engages the brake doesn't move much when the brake is engaged, and there's no much thread left on the rod to tighten up the spring. I realise I'm missing a return spring according the the manual, but that shouldn't make a difference to the fact that the brake isn't working when fully on.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the setup at the moment? Thanks!

brakes-1.jpgbrakes-2.jpg

craftsmannc

Threads
Another photo showing slightly bent push arm/rod...

brakes-.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look at the pictures you posted there is a nyloc nut sticking straight out,just below the brake disc shaft looking at you. That is the nut that you turn to adjust the brakes, not the nuts on the rod.

craftsmannc

Threads
Ok - if I tighten that more I thought it would stop the pivoting bracket that engages the break from rotating. Also the bracket doesn't rotate much with a full press of the pedal - how Mich should it rotate between brake on and brake off?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
3/8" is the normal movement if properly adjusted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the right brake styrup bolt is missing its head so I doubt the brake will work at all.
The lever looks like it is around the wrong way, it should be up not down so it can not get snagged while you are mowing.
Pull it right off and check that the pins are free in the caliper ( I called it a styrup before ) and that the disc slides easily on the spline.
Put something underneath when you take it off as little bits tend to fall out & get lost.

craftsmannc

Threads
OK thanks - I've changed the setup around now and it seems better. The disc spins fine and the pins and free to move in and out. The pad is worn so I have a new one arriving in a couple of days. One question I have is whether the brake should work in neutral? Or does it only work when the mower is in gear? I ask because when the mower is in neutral the disc doesn't spin at all, but when in gear and I turn the wheels it does.

Thanks

tigercat

Threads
Whenever the clutch petal is pressed down, or parking brake is set the brake should work. (on the sears stuff that I know of)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK thanks - I've changed the setup around now and it seems better. The disc spins fine and the pins and free to move in and out. The pad is worn so I have a new one arriving in a couple of days. One question I have is whether the brake should work in neutral? Or does it only work when the mower is in gear? I ask because when the mower is in neutral the disc doesn't spin at all, but when in gear and I turn the wheels it does.

Thanks

The brake is on the layshaft not the axel.
because of the way diffs work when ou have the mower in the air and spin a wheel, the other one spins in the opposite direction rather than turn the gears so the brake disc does not spin.
However if you turn the gearbox pulley the disc always spins even if the wheels are not movng at all.