LT1000 42 inch deck engagement lever cannot engage

joea99

Threads
Older Lt1000 with 42 inch deck and manual lever to engage blade drive. Short story is, after sitting for some time and getting it running again, cannot force the lever to engage the deck drive.

Removed deck to check things. The brake levers, etc. seem to operate normally, by hand. I replaced the belts as it was cracked, and one idler pulley as it had a rough bearing and the blades. Re-installed deck and tried again. No joy.

Decided to "show it who's boss" and it showed me. While waiting for a new cable to arrive, thought I would ask here as to what I should look for, this time.

Longer story is, I don't need this mower as I have an older Deere 240 that I now use and figured I'd sell this one to some needy soul. I advertised it and got some interest, so went to start it and give it a once over. Of course it would not start, so I dropped the ad.

Turns it it had no spark. Replaced the magneto and had a blue arc. At the plug. Still no start except on starter fluid. Got an Amazon wonder carb (Ebay actually) and got it running. Figured to mow a little (and raise the asking price . . . ) and found I could not engaged the drive lever, it simply refused to go up far enough to even hint at latching in position.

Clearly I have not yet learned my lesson and want to get it going, rather than scrap it or part out. Suggestions as to what to look at on the deck?

Cusser

Threads
  • / LT1000 42 inch deck engagement lever cannot engage
I've got a LT1000 2005 model.

There's an idler pulley (145) in a bracket which rides a slot on the deck, gets pulled by the manual cable that attaches to the lever. Dirt gets into the channel for the pulley, and must be cleaned out periodically, maybe lubed with a stick lubricant such as Door Ease. There's also a spring (148) involved.

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor Deck2.png