LT 1050 deck

Buck C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced one of the idler pulleys on the deck and upon starting the PTO the deck rattled and vibrated like crazy. I removed the deck greased the spindles I could, oiled the idlers pulleys and the other spindles, reinstalled deck. and had the same old vibrations. Any answers will be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure the belt was replaced correctly ?
Get some one to sit in the seat, drop the deck to the lowest setting and watch the deck from the left side while they engage & dissengage the blades

Buck C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did this and was told the belt was loose. The belt size is what is recommended for that deck. I did notice when I was loosening the idler pulley to install the belt there was a lot of movement on the idler pulley apparatus. Could this be my problem? If so how do I remedy that situation? Thanks for any help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't if the idler arm is the cause but definitely needs fixing. Most it requires the idler arm, the shouldered washer, and the fender washer to replaced. The fender washer completely out, the shoulder wears one sided, and idler arm where the shoulder washer rides wear thin. All this leads to a sloppy idler arm assembly. Most times here it leads to the belt being thrown.

Also don't forget to check the blades for balance and for any bent pulleys like a spindle pulley that is not spinning true. (ie not wobbling).

Also there is two different belt used depending the year of the mower. LT1050 manufactured before 2008 used a B [5/8] section x 131 belt and 2008 and later used an A [1/2] section x 131.25 belt. If yo are trying to use the A sec on the older mower it will be too loose as it will ride too deep in the pulleys.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Click on third website down.
With deck removed, disassemble idler arm assembly, pages 26 & 27 in Manual above. Inspect bolt item 12 & spacer item 39 & idler arm #47 carefully. Bolt 12, 3/8 x 16 x 1.25 is grade 5 & is probably stretched & warped as well as spacer & bracket. I would dill out idler arm, spacer, & bracket to 7/16" & install a new grade 8 bolt with washers & a self locking nut. Make sure spacer & bracket ride on shank of bolt, not on threads.
I had this problem with my Simplicity Broadmoor tractor when I purchased it new in 2010. My son & I drilled out upper & lower idler arm bushings, hole in deck & 1 mount bracket with 7/16" drill bit, installed grade 8 bolt, washers & self locking nut & keep it lubed with oil at every service, works great. I have gone so far as looking at all Simplicity decks since 2010 & most all use a 3/8 grade 5 bolt which cannot handle the torque when engaging & disengaging PTO for mowing. My upper idler arm was broken to the point of falling off.

Last edited: