Looks Briggs is going to file Charter 11

cruzenmike

Threads
This really is sad news especially if it might eventually lead to products like the Vanguard engine or the the generator line going away. Obviously nobody knows he long term ramifications of this filing but let's hope that in the end Briggs comes out of this with a more simplified portfolio of products that helps them to re-establish themselves as a global leader of small engines.

Then all they need to do is to offer a line of dependable, reasonably priced engines that equipment manufacturers will pick over their own "branded" ones made in China. I am not saying that Chinese engines are bad, it's just that companies like MTD made the switch to Chinese engines only because it was favorable to their profits.

If all else fails, in the end we will have a completely Chinese made rider at Home Depot for $2000 or an American made John Deere at the dealer for $4000. I do not think that this bodes well for even the premium brands as it will hedge cost against quality and in an ever increasingly expensive world to live in, people will eventually choose cost savings first.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If briggs goes under, i guess that will only leave Kohler and Kawasaki still making some engines here in the USA.
Of course i think Kawasaki makes alot of engine is north carolina....:unsure:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
you sure about that? because all the murray and snapper parts i buy now come with a briggs logo on the bag or box
Just checked the Walmart website for murray and Snapper mowers. The Snapper riders are coming back with Husqvarna model numbers and the push mowers are coming back with MTD, Husqvarna and a third party model number which could be Pulsar. Don't recognize some of the model numbers for the Murray pushmowers. Some are characteristic MTD style others are more Pulsar style like the new Brute push mowers sold at Menards.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think i will start my own line of cheap mowers. Will call them Junk King. Will give a 5 or 5 warranty. 5 minutes or 5 tanks of gas, whichever comes first. Probably source engines from we scru you out of china. I need to hire some slick marketing wanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think i will start my own line of cheap mowers. Will call them Junk King. Will give a 5 or 5 warranty. 5 minutes or 5 tanks of gas, whichever comes first. Probably source engines from we scru you out of china. I need to hire some slick marketing wanks.
Buy the rights to Taryl's EZ Works brand he bashes on their videos.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This must be why a B&S eng wiring harness, for a Vang EFI eng that we ordered to repair a customers mower, is on back order......now I know why it's taking so long to get it....I hate it for our customer.
Those Vangards are made in Japan right? Might explain delays.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
They moved Vanguard production back to the US in 2017..
They did make them in Japan though.

Mower King

Threads
They moved Vanguard production back to the US in 2017..
They did make them in Japan though.
This is correct!

I just found it odd that a part (eng wiring harness for their high dollar EFI eng on their B&S high dollar mower) on a 2 year old mower that has a 4 yr B&S warranty, is on back order. B&S told me they had a problem with them (the harness) so, you would think they had them in stock somewhere......it's going on 3 weeks, next week.

But a Chapter 11 filing might explain it.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is correct!

I just found it odd that a part (eng wiring harness for their high dollar EFI eng on their B&S high dollar mower) on a 2 year old mower that has a 4 yr B&S warranty, is on back order. B&S told me they had a problem with them (the harness) so, you would think they had them in stock somewhere......it's going on 3 weeks, next week.

But a Chapter 11 filing might explain it.
Look at the bright side, The spring stockup program starts in August this year instead of October or November like normal. Trying to stick their dealers with extra parts so they don;t have as much on hand for the bankrupcy.