Looking for an ATV forum, for a work quad not racing or off-road

Ida-Boy

Threads
  • / Looking for an ATV forum, for a work quad not racing or off-road
Thought I would post this question here in case anyone knows of a site for Honda ATV's. I need to upgrade from a Golf Cart for work here at my home and a 4x4 quad is what I am looking to do research on. I need to be able to pull yard trailers, roller, thatcher and a DR Power Grader to keep my driveway decent.
Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not much out there that actually can provide help or at least I haven't found that can answer my questions. I had to learn on my own using what few service manuals I found.

I can tell you this if you are going to be pulling things then you will need a water cooled version. Air cooled unit will overheat easy when towing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would be looking at a 400-500 cc size minimum. and a lot of the newer ATV's are oil cooled. Meaning that have an oil cooler that works like a water cooled radiator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then question is the oil cooler useing fan forced air to cool the oil. Air must be moving for either air, water or oil cooling to work proper and slow moving ATVs and UTVs will not have enough air movement otherwise. I have one with a large ATV that has both water and oil coolers that overheated climbing mountain trails (what I call mole hills here in North East Alabama) when when the fans quit operating due a limb disconnecting them. Luckily the system had a shutdown safety system. It save the engine but he had to sit a few hours waiting for it to cool back down.

I think it was his Cam Am but he also has Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha ATVs so I not sure which it was. He also had a Military upgraded one that was used for driving through swamps on the Redstone Arsenal in Madison county. With snorkels it was driven under water at times. You cant much water cooled than that.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BTW placement of oil cooler can be a problem in some equipment setups. I repair a Kawasaki engine last year on a Wright stand ZTR mower. It was the oil cooler for the hydros that was place over the engine cooling fan. The cooler (radiator) had clogged up with dirt and caused a major overheating problem. The customer had lost one the engine's cylinder heads, the fan, and shroud. A very expensive repair. It is an actual design problem introduce by Wright as they should have the cooler in another location and use a fan. I also did maintenance on Hustler Super Z where the a similar radiator is used that has a fan and it was also clogged with dirt. No wonder I had the repair the hydros.

Ida-Boy

Threads
WOW, lots of responses wasn't expecting.

I have an E-Z-Go Freedom cart with the 13 hp motor and it does the job on most everything I have up until now. Since I moved I will have close to 700 feet of stone driveway to keep groomed and to do that I picked up a DR Power Grader, the 48" model.

TOWING: Recommended Towing Vehicle Min 14HP, 400 lb. Lawn/Garden Tractor or 360cc 4WD ATV/UTV (24" max hitch height) - Utility Tractor

As soon as the weather breaks I will try and pull it with the gas cart but I am thinking I may have to upgrade. I have a neighbor who plows my drive and I plan on pulling this in his drive also so I am most interested in what an ATV pulling stats are.

**ALSO** I was hoping to avoid pulling the grader with my new Liberty Z zero turn

olgeezershonda

Threads
Rather than an ATV have you considered a compact tractor similar to this:

Attachments

• compact tractor.jpeg
    compact tractor.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1

Ida-Boy

Threads
Rather than an ATV have you considered a compact tractor similar to this:
Not really, don't need that much power and price ruled them out. I did a preliminary pull of the grader with my golf cart and it did better than expected. It will certainly be a learning process on how to adjust the grader on the drive as mine is not flat as many of the videos show the use of the grader in. I had some slushy snow on the incline as I was coming up the drive that I lost traction with the cart.
I think I may be fine with the golf cart but I need to do another test without snow and ice in the drive to confirm my findings.

Tdj2591

Threads
Thought I would post this question here in case anyone knows of a site for Honda ATV's. I need to upgrade from a Golf Cart for work here at my home and a 4x4 quad is what I am looking to do research on. I need to be able to pull yard trailers, roller, thatcher and a DR Power Grader to keep my driveway decent.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks in advance.

CDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks in advance.
I had a Kawasaki Bayou 220 for 27 years. Started out using it for deer hunting and then for working on my land. I had a basket on the front for the tools and chainsaw etc. There was a 2-inch ball hitch on it for carts etc. I gave it to my nephew last year and ended up replacing it with a Kymco MXU 450i.

I liked the Kawasaki, and when I found out Kymco made ATVs for Kawasaki, I took a look at them. I have a basket on the front and back for tools etc. I will admit it was not easy to install the baskets on the 450i as no one makes baskets specifically for them.

I ended up cutting some high-density foam to lift up the basket on the back (Sportsman's Guide from the Bayou) so it would not interfere with the seat release on the Kymco. I cut the second piece of foam with an inset curve to allow access to the radiator cap on the ATV. The front basket I used was from Strong Made. It was their # 258 - FRONT BASKET RACK FOR 2020-2021 HONDA 420/520 that has removable access plates so you can access the radiator cap.

By using a number of wire ties I did not need to drill or cut or modify any of the racks on the ATV, and it hasn't moved in over a year. There is a Kymco Forum, but at times it seems like a ghost town with little activity. I use a 10-foot choker cable over the 2-inch ball hitch and it works well at dragging branches and trees to the burn pile. Good luck with your search!