Looking for a quality walk behind.

Logo09

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a .3 acre lot. i mowed it yesterday and it took roughly 45 min. i am looking for a good walk behind mower. i dont need it to be self propelled. i just want a quality mower without breaking the bank. a bigger engine would be nice because the grass gets very thick in places and i dont want it to bog down. t

SirJohn

Threads
How much are you looking at spending? In non-self-propelled, the Honda HRC216 or Toro commerciala are probably the best. Although there is also the Ariens LM21 which is built like a tank, but I imagine will be heavy to push without any type of drive. The engine is a Kohler XT-7 which hasn't been around long enough to really prove its long term durability and really isn't a commerical engine like those on the Honda HRC or Toro commercial models. For less, Honda also has residential models like the HRS216, which is about $350. You can get the same residential honda engine in offerings from other manufactuers for a bit less. Cheapest is probably the Troy-Bilt (MTD) at $250 but the deck is nowhere near as well built. Some would argue that the Honda residential motor really isn't any better than the Birggs offerings and the kohler XT series.

I was searching for a budget push myself and decided on the Husqvarna 6021p with the Kohler XT-6 motor (smaller version of XT-7) for under $200. I got tired of the Briggs flathead motors on the residential machines and didn't want to pay the money for the Honda. I haven't had a chance to do enough testing on it to draw a definite conclusion on it. The Kohler motor does have the design to be a very good motor for long term residential use.

Don't get sucked into the power ratings that Briggs palces on their motors. Their large 190cc residential flathead comes in three flavors of 6.25, 6.75, and 7.0 torque. They used to label these as 6 hp, 6.5hp, and 6.75hp which were outright lies which is why there was the lawsuit a while back. The so called 6.75hp engine only actually had 3.6hp at the governed rpm being used. The OHV engines of Kohler and Honda produce as much power on smaller displacements becasue the OHV design is more efficient. Therefore, the 149cc Kohler XT-6 is actually in the same ballpark with 6.3lb-ft torque as the 190cc Briggs. However, the phsyical external size of the OHV engines is larger for the displacement because they are somewhat more complex. The XT-6 actually has slightly bigger external dimensions than the 190cc B&S so it looks enormous on a 21" push mower.

Logo09

Forum Newbie
Threads
was looking to spend 250 or less

SirJohn

Threads
Here are some options:
If you must have the Honda motor, the only sub $250 new honda powered motor is this Troy-bilt. This is the same deck as on just about every MTD non propelled product over $150. It is plastic at the front and rear.

There are two models powered by the Kohler XT-6 to look at. One is the Lawnboy 10603. Lawnboy is made by Toro. This is probably the best built deck of any the choices. It is a little heavy for its size and some have criticized it for its maneuverability.
The other is the Husqvarna 6021p, which is what I purchased. Unlike the MTD products, the deck is all steel. It is constantly on sale at Sears online so you can get it for $185 frequently. The rear wheels have ball bearings. It is one of the easiest to maneuver push mowers out there. You can see some of my preliminary observations in the thread I started. Its recommended by Consumer Reports and they claim it is one of the best at mulching in the non self-propelled category, not that CR is the be all and end all of lawn mower reviews, but it is another piece to look at.

If you go with a Briggs motor, go with ones with the 625 or higher motor. If you do mulching, the smaller ones will not give you enough oomph. The advantage of the Briggs motors are that they are everywhere. Parts are cheap, plentiful, and they are easy to work on. Pretty much all your options with this motor in the price range you want are various brands of the same MTD mower. They run at about $200 and are at every major retailer in one form or another (troy-bilt, mtd, craftsman, yardman, etc). If you see the black plastic at the front, that is the same product as everywhere else and it is made by MTD. Sears does have an upgraded Craftsman version that includes a deck wash port and the 700 series B&S for $230. Sears again has constant sales online. The $200 version frequently runs at $185 and the $230 version goes for $215 when you add them to the cart. Other than the upgraded Sears version, these MTD mowers are all the same so just make sure you buy the version with a 625 or higher engine and buy it wherever you can get best deal or wherever has the best return policy/customer service.

However, before you lbuy a new mower, make sure to thoroughly check the used market. You may be able to find a better quality mower used under your budget.

originalswampfox

Threads
I agree with everything SirJohn said, my only comment is to get the self propelled. The older I get the better i like it. I live if FL and St Augustine grass is tuff and I really need the self propelled. My lot is the same size as yours. Flower beds are easier than cutting, just mulch them once a year.

Logo09

Forum Newbie
Threads
well being that i am only 20 years old i think i am gonna have to limp along with a less expensive human-propelled for now :)

on that note i am really tempted to buy the Husqvarna 6021p... its either that or the lawn boy at this point

originalswampfox

Threads
Not sure I would like to go back to 20, I screwed up a lot. I like the Husq. but both are good picks.

SirJohn

Threads
Whatever you choose, a few things to keep in mind. The newer engines are prone to the carbeurators being gummed up due to all the tiny little passages and jets needed to meet emission standards, etc. The fact that most gas is now 10% ethanol does not help. It is critical that you use fuel stabilizer and to make sure to run the gas out at the end of the season or you will likely have carb trouble. Also be sure to change the oil after the first 3-5 hours of run time. This is critical to get any residue/shavings left over from manufacturing out. Other than that just perform regular maintenance like you would with any motorized vehicle.

Logo09

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for your help sirjohn, after talking to some friends and trusted mechanics i have decided on the lawn boy. i really like the rear/side discharge on that one and it is heavier so i will get a little better workout pushing the thing. extra one year warranty and two pull guarantee is really nice as well. will post back when i mow with it!