Export thread

Looking for a problem free 42" Zero Turn Mower

D

DonnyB

My riding mower will not last the season, so I'm looking for a zero turn mower(ZTM). I had a Cub Cadet ZTM several years ago and now have a 0.75 acre lot. I have looked on YouTube for "Best ZTM for 2023" and there is nothing bad ever mentioned. I have narrowed my list of potential mowers to Bad Boy Rambler, Cub Cadet ZT1, and Ariens. The 42" desk is plenty for my 0.75 acre lot. Recently, I started to read that each has some bad history. For example, the Bad Boy has spindle problems, the Ariens has transmission problems, etc.
All this to say, what brands have the least amount of problems?

B

Bertrrr

None are problem free - I've run Badboy for a while now and only had normal issues - I don't recommend getting anything with electronic fuel injected systems - anytime is has a problem it will need to go back to dealership.
Just my 2cts.

B

bertsmobile1

The most problem free mower that is available to USA owners are the articulated ones by Stiga followed by the Rider Pro ( Pro-Rider ? ) by Husqvarna
They are also very low maintenance .
The original Husqvarnas imported from Europe are head & Shoulders better than the downgraded cheapened made to a price ones that they make in the USA

Both of these are reasonably priced for the quality of the design which is not suited to all yards and like so many posters you have given us absolutely nothing upon which to give you sound advice

CC are now relegated to "Rebranded MTD Throw Away Junk " because that is what has happened since MTD took over & now that Stanley- B & D have taken oover MTD the quality will only go further down so I advise my customers not to by any CC product .

The only 2 residential grade ZTR's I suggest to my customers are the EZ range from JD and the Time Cutters from Toro and of these 2 the JD is head & shoulders less problem than the Toro which has that silly electric brake module that is prone to failure but apart from that they are fairly well bullet proof
In my run there are 5 x z225 ( now discontinued ) 3 of which are being used commercially & done 2000 to 4000 hrs , 1 x 255 ( also discontinued ) , 1 x 335 , & 1 x 355 .
None of these JD's has given any problems apart from the 3 225's being used commercially, all of which have needed repair to the deck lift arm but then they were not designed to be mowing 10 to 15 residential yards a day let alone multiple yards up to 5 acres a day . The ones that are used domestically require noting but routine maintenance .
IMHO nearly all of major break downs are due to owner abuse and the big repair bills come from lack of proper maintenance .
So no matter how good the design is or how well it is made if you do not look after it the mower will fall apart 1 day after warranty expires .

G

GrumpyCat

Local dealer says he has far less trouble and easier to work on with Country Clipper vs Exmark or Bad Boy. Problem is the Country Clipper is a lot more expensive. I bought one for the reliability and that it has an optional handrail for getting on/off that is unlike any other... after I fell off a mower at the dealer which didn't have the handrail.

Harder to see but I also have an optional step mounted to the front.

This ZTR is steered by a single joystick on the right. The silver handle on the left is just something to hold on to.

Bad Boy has an optional pole to aid in egress. Probably good enough but not nearly as nice as Country Clipper's.

Country_Clipper.jpeg

B

bertsmobile1

Just wait till the joy stick requires adjustments
Clippers are big for the elderly & dissabled for the reasons you posted
BEcause they get bought by people who usually can not do simple maintenance hey are made very well, the build quality is excellent and this is reflected in the ticket price

C

ChrisBFRPKY

I mow 3 acres.

In the zero turn department I have 2 Cub Cadet RZT 50 zero turns, a White 50" zero turn (MTD rebrand) and a faded paint older Bad Boy 48" zero turn. The Cub zero turns have had the decks rebuilt twice (new spindles, belt and blades, Chinese parts) since 2020. One is out of action as it recently had the right side Hydrogear drive go "kaput" (that's not going to be fun or cheap). The White 50" always seems to come up with a new electrical issue weekly so it sits out "mow day" more often than not. I've started bypassing the safety switches and much of the wiring now rather than reordering new switches that also fail quickly. Yes, I know that's not the correct way to do things but needs must on that one.

The Bad Boy has the 27HP Briggs and has yet to fail. It has only required oil and filter changes, also a few blade sharpenings (once per season). I'm doing my best to keep the factory blades on it as the replacements will likely be made out of tin foil.

I don't know if the new Bad Boy mowers are anything like the older Bad Boy units but I do know I'd pick the Bad Boy mower over the others. That's also why I'm on the look out for a few used ones myself to replace the Cub and White zero turns.

B

bertsmobile1

Goes to what was posted earlier
MTD products with any brand on them are to be avoided
All built down to the lowest possible price so are throw away junk
Only good part on any of them is the Chinese Loncin engines.
You might like to search for "Burning De-Walt ZTR "
And that was a brand new mower hand built for a mower show to a much higher quality than what rolls of the production line.

Way way back I was taught
Quality products sell themselves
Junk has to be sold to the customers

From that comes the inverse square law of quality
"Quality of a product declines by the square of the amount of money spent advertising it "

Now social media has changed that a bit because brain dead sheep like to follow "influencers " on the web, most of which have less than no idea about what they spruke but the blind deciples lap whatever they flog up with glee

Which only goes to prove we are no more advanced than when we crawled out of the caves with a club in our hands

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Goes to what was posted earlier
MTD products with any brand on them are to be avoided
All built down to the lowest possible price so are throw away junk
Only good part on any of them is the Chinese Loncin engines.
You might like to search for "Burning De-Walt ZTR "
And that was a brand new mower hand built for a mower show to a much higher quality than what rolls of the production line.

Way way back I was taught
Quality products sell themselves
Junk has to be sold to the customers

From that comes the inverse square law of quality
"Quality of a product declines by the square of the amount of money spent advertising it "

Now social media has changed that a bit because brain dead sheep like to follow "influencers " on the web, most of which have less than no idea about what they spruke but the blind deciples lap whatever they flog up with glee

Which only goes to prove we are no more advanced than when we crawled out of the caves with a club in our hands
Of the mowers mentioned for the residential use, Bad Boy or Toro would be my choice. 15 years ago, Bad Boy was junk, but have really upped the quality and features and dealer network. Toro is overall, a pretty solid product. See a lot of Timecutters come through my shop. Usually minor problems and tune ups.

S

slomo

Around here it's Snapper, SCAG and Toro.

StarTech

StarTech

As said none are trouble free. They all will have problems. It just the nature of mechanical equipment. They all have their weak points.

Its like people that bad mouth autos. Some hate the Ford line, Some hate the Mopar line, and some hate the Chevy line. Well I reckon I can bad mouth my Chevy PU for the transmission failure. Now of course it has 343,000 miles on it and now I got to put in a rebuilt transmission. For me it cost as much to rebuilt it myself as getting one that has a 4 yr warranty. The Ford I brought was someone else's failure that they didn't fix just pawn it off on the dealer., THe Mopar I had had engine and transmission problems but they were well over 200,000 when these occurred. My brother blew up my IH pu at 180,000 and none us mechanics could where the block crack was. Ended selling it for scrape as was 30+ yrs old.

S

slomo

As said none are trouble free. They all will have problems. It just the nature of mechanical equipment. They all have their weak points.

Its like people that bad mouth autos. Some hate the Ford line, Some hate the Mopar line, and some hate the Chevy line. Well I reckon I can bad mouth my Chevy PU for the transmission failure. Now of course it has 343,000 miles on it and now I got to put in a rebuilt transmission. For me it cost as much to rebuilt it myself as getting one that has a 4 yr warranty. The Ford I brought was someone else's failure that they didn't fix just pawn it off on the dealer., THe Mopar I had had engine and transmission problems but they were well over 200,000 when these occurred. My brother blew up my IH pu at 180,000 and none us mechanics could where the block crack was. Ended selling it for scrape as was 30+ yrs old.
Trouble free vs worn smooth out is different. These are not our grand pappy's farm tractors.

G

GroundLoop

The most problem free mower that is available to USA owners are the articulated ones by Stiga followed by the Rider Pro ( Pro-Rider ? ) by Husqvarna
They are also very low maintenance .
The original Husqvarnas imported from Europe are head & Shoulders better than the downgraded cheapened made to a price ones that they make in the USA

Both of these are reasonably priced for the quality of the design which is not suited to all yards and like so many posters you have given us absolutely nothing upon which to give you sound advice

CC are now relegated to "Rebranded MTD Throw Away Junk " because that is what has happened since MTD took over & now that Stanley- B & D have taken oover MTD the quality will only go further down so I advise my customers not to by any CC product .

The only 2 residential grade ZTR's I suggest to my customers are the EZ range from JD and the Time Cutters from Toro and of these 2 the JD is head & shoulders less problem than the Toro which has that silly electric brake module that is prone to failure but apart from that they are fairly well bullet proof
In my run there are 5 x z225 ( now discontinued ) 3 of which are being used commercially & done 2000 to 4000 hrs , 1 x 255 ( also discontinued ) , 1 x 335 , & 1 x 355 .
None of these JD's has given any problems apart from the 3 225's being used commercially, all of which have needed repair to the deck lift arm but then they were not designed to be mowing 10 to 15 residential yards a day let alone multiple yards up to 5 acres a day . The ones that are used domestically require noting but routine maintenance .
IMHO nearly all of major break downs are due to owner abuse and the big repair bills come from lack of proper maintenance .
So no matter how good the design is or how well it is made if you do not look after it the mower will fall apart 1 day after warranty expires .
I am curious when did CC (rebranded MTD) become junk? what year? I have a RZT-50 Yardman (CC(MTD)) mower I bought in 2010 and it is still doing well with 575 hours on the clock. Only things done to it is 1) changed both the deck and drive belts - learned the hard way to use MTD part on the drive belt. 2) replace the carb. 3) replace the starter.

I know the Hydro-Gear units will need to be serviced soon.

I am just now looking to purchase a backup because I know it will be reaching the end of its life soon and I cannot afford to have it down for any length of time.

B

bertsmobile1

The day MTD took them over
The old CC's were bullet proof commercial grade gear made by a real tractor company ( International Harvester ) to work as hard & last as long as a real tractor
I have 2000 series Cubs in the run that have better than 4000 hrs on them & still going strong
Got a market gardner with a couple of 3000 series fitted with blades & rotary hoes , one has 6000 hrs on the clock while the others clock died at 4400
Blade spindles use the proper bearings for the job, tapered rollers , not deep grove balls with hollow greasable spindles that were easy to access.
Shaft driven Eatons transmissions with Horizontal shaft engine that will run for ever
Tyres with 4 ply side walls & 6 ply treads made with tractor grade rubber which are virtually puncture proof
Decks with big 3/4" overlaps so you do not leave rooster tails when the blades get the slightest wear
Plus made with real steel rather than heavily powder coated tin foil

So you have a good one
How well it goes & how log it lasts will have a lot to do with how well you maintain it and what you cut with it .

All of the new CC's in my service run are forever in my shop for repairs for broken spindle housings , dead spindle bearings, cracked frames , cracked deck mountings cracked decks , rusted through decks warped frames
The steering wheel jobs collect debris under the floor like crazy which is a 2 hour job to clean out
And now that some of them are pushing 5 years the steering is forever requiring adjustment because the front wheel movement is now out of kilter with the rear wheels .
The only ZTR's that come in more often than CC's are the bottom end Husqvarna's regardless of the brand on them .

To appreciate just how bad the new ones are you need to have seen / used / serviced the old ones

As to weather the new CC ZTR's are a cut above the std MTD ZTR I have no idea as no one imports any MTD ZTR's down hear other than the CC's which are still being flogged off using the robust reputation earned by IH & CC before they got MTDed

N

nc10

I have narrowed my list of potential mowers to Bad Boy Rambler, Cub Cadet ZT1, and Ariens. .........
On the chance you haven't looked at CR, the models that have the highest reliability ratings, and were rated highest by customers in Consumer Reports were Gravely, John Deere, and Bad Boy, Toro was close to those 3. CR seemed quite impressed with the reliability of JD models. Curious why JD wasn't on your list, maybe price?

The attached bar chart are the CR mfr ratings for ZT mowers only, not all mowers.

There were a few 42" ZT battery models that received high performance ratings (top rated were 2 from EGO, 1 from Greenworks, 1 Ryobi), but CR lacked reliability data, and long term battery life data. Run time was 60-90 min. Was curious, the Greenworks CRZ428 sells for $4k, comes with 6 X 5 amp hour batteries and replacements are $330 each. Half the price to replace the batteries. Harder to find info on the others. Made in China.

Attachments

F

Frustration is my Name

My riding mower will not last the season, so I'm looking for a zero turn mower(ZTM). I had a Cub Cadet ZTM several years ago and now have a 0.75 acre lot. I have looked on YouTube for "Best ZTM for 2023" and there is nothing bad ever mentioned. I have narrowed my list of potential mowers to Bad Boy Rambler, Cub Cadet ZT1, and Ariens. The 42" desk is plenty for my 0.75 acre lot. Recently, I started to read that each has some bad history. For example, the Bad Boy has spindle problems, the Ariens has transmission problems, etc.
Examine any possibilities for how easily routine maintenance is to do. I have a Gravely with a Kawasaki engine that is 4-5 years old. The dipstick is at an angle that makes it impossible to draw straight out to check the oil level. There is practically no room to access the oil plug (I installed a Drainzit, which helps), the spark plug on one side needs a deep socket plus a five inch extension to get it out because the mower's panels and cables impede access. Engineers who design these monstrosities ought to be made to try to do the maintenance on them!

homer888

homer888

SCAG.Made in Mayville wi.

T

thigg001

Have you considered electric? We bought a EGO Z6 42" earlier this year, love it. Got it though Lowe's, free delivery and assembly, got it on sale and put it on our Lowe's CC for additional 5% discount, about net $4,200. It has a 5 year warranty on mower and batteries, so other then sharpening blades or blade replacement, zero maintenance, no more belts to change, getting too old for all that! We put tire sealant in the front tires 1st thing, those small tires are a total pain to replace, unplug the 2 deck motors, pull a couple of pins, slide the deck out, flip it over, replace blades or sharpen, easy peazy. We have about a 2 acre lawn, it comes with 4 10 amp batteries and will not mow our entire lawn with one charge, but not an issue to mow in 2, only takes an hour or less to charge, could always add 2 more batteries ($600 about). We have other EGO tools and the batteries are all interchangeable. I have a solar battery bank that we charge from so zero cost. Even off the grid only costs about 27 cents to charge vs 2 gallons of gas for our 60" 25hp Swisher ZTR about 6 bucks. Can easily change blade speed depending on the grass. So far NO issues or complaints!

E

ErnieN85

Try a Grasshopper they are built like a tank

13brian

I can only speak from research, on this forum and personal experience. I have about 3.5 acres of field that I mow, not really turf. It is very rough in some parts. I bought a Scag Liberty Z and could not be happier with my purchase. Thing is built like a tank, has been thoughtfully put together for things like oil changes, has dual hydros, in lieu of single hydro. 2.5 years and I just turned over 50 hours, I did put a suspension seat on it. Expect this will last me most of the rest of my (mowing) life, am in my low 50s. I have a good dealer close, but have not needed them for anything so far, except purchase, delivery and oil filter. FWIW

13brian

I agree, I think you could not go wrong with a Grasshopper.

S

SlopeMan2

I sure like my Bad Boy with 1500 hours on it, and my Husqvarna with 500 on it, both with minimal issues. Good Luck

B

Born2Mow

No mower is better than its maintenance schedule.

R

riceski@gmail.com

Have you looked at SCAG?

L

ljms

I agree , they are built tough. I bought mine last year. It is a 42" cut, and has the electric lift on the deck for easier cleaning. At this point there are only two issues that I have. One, the deck being only 42" does not reach out past the width of the wheels at all. This makes for cutting next to ditches tricky, usually needing to run a weed whacker afterwards. I chose the 42" deck because my wife's landscaping has created a lot of narrow spots. I think I would have gotten a 48" if I was aware of that.
The second issue, The design of the belt drive on the deck requires that you cross any low or high spots carefully, if not the belts skid plate hangs up and leaves you spinning. To get around this there are spots in my mowing where I have to set the deck higher than the rest of the yard to be able to cut without high centering. Most times I have been able using the deck lift to raise the deck enough to clear, but I have had at times to get towed off of the high spot or towed out of the low spot.
All that being said, at my age and physical condition, the ability to electrically lift the deck to clean and maintain the blades makes it tolerable.
LaVern

K

kinard

I have a snapper with a 46" cut and 21.5 Kawasaki engine. No problems in 9 years--not even a belt change. Just grease the spindle bearings regularly. I don't think the 46" cut is made any longer, however. I would consider a Toro too.

C

cootertwo

Gravely ZTX42

L

Larry L

I would look at John Deere due to to parts availability. I agree about the longevity of a good ZTM is the maintenance schedule.
I have a Dixie Chopper and mow 2 to 5 acres weekly here on Lake fork. blade change every 2 years and have replaced the belts earlier this year for the 1st time. D Chopper is 9 going on 10 years old.
When it’s time I will replace with another DC or a JD.

C

Cajun power

bad boy zt elite.

exmark radius E

these are all 48 inch machines.

when you get down below 48 inches, none of the most dependable and "trouble free" (better phrase might be: superior built quality) make them below 48.

based on indirect experience (from friends in the trade), toro makes a pretty good machine that builds in the 42 inch range. I've heard good things about their engines...about the overall built quality...I could not have any info. I know the parts of toro engines are rather expensive.

one of the considerations at the very top of your priorities list is a top quality hydro drive. Most of the very inexpensive and "small format" machines use the base model hydro drives that are not serviceable (do not allow filter changes or fluid changes)...There seems to be a clear break point at the 48 inch deck size where you better hydro drives are available...which is why I point to the badboy and the exmark above.

I maintain a ferris 300S 42 inch for a family friend and the build quality is pretty good ...except for the weak front deck grass wheels with the light sacrificial metal axle bolts. Have replaced these twice before just putting more beefy axle bolts. Not the best engine, but reliable with regular maintenance (BS CXI). Not a huge fan of the mildly helpful deck suspension and shock absorbing spring 4 point system...But overall, its a 2017 model and so far with over 400 hours, it's still running well and cuts quite well.

B

BTBO

I have a Scag Liberty Z 48" w/Kawasaki FR651V. It has 115 hours of use, which isn't much. To this point, other than routine maintenance like changing oil and filters, greasing the 6 zerks yearly, and replacing the battery....I have not had any issues. The cut quality is superb. I decided on Scag after comparing with other mowers, with the warranty being a large reason.

H

Honest Abe

I mow 3 acres.

In the zero turn department I have 2 Cub Cadet RZT 50 zero turns, a White 50" zero turn (MTD rebrand) and a faded paint older Bad Boy 48" zero turn. The Cub zero turns have had the decks rebuilt twice (new spindles, belt and blades, Chinese parts) since 2020. One is out of action as it recently had the right side Hydrogear drive go "kaput" (that's not going to be fun or cheap). The White 50" always seems to come up with a new electrical issue weekly so it sits out "mow day" more often than not. I've started bypassing the safety switches and much of the wiring now rather than reordering new switches that also fail quickly. Yes, I know that's not the correct way to do things but needs must on that one.

The Bad Boy has the 27HP Briggs and has yet to fail. It has only required oil and filter changes, also a few blade sharpenings (once per season). I'm doing my best to keep the factory blades on it as the replacements will likely be made out of tin foil.

I don't know if the new Bad Boy mowers are anything like the older Bad Boy units but I do know I'd pick the Bad Boy mower over the others. That's also why I'm on the look out for a few used ones myself to replace the Cub and White zero turns.
try some Oregon replacements, much better than an OEM I've had on . . . . . .

H

Honest Abe

I'd stay away from Gravely, I must have at least as much into it in repairs as the piece of junk cost initially. As Agent J would say, it's a POS . . . . . .

M

Majestor

IMO, your first stop when looking for a new ZTR is YouTube and review each of your current preferences. I did while looking for a new ZTR and I am very happy with the one I chose. I think you may find that current Cub Cadet ZTR’s are not their predecessors by a long shot as with all of the other brands in recent years. Bad Boy and Airens are very good mowers. My choice of the Hustler Raptor over the Bad Boy came down to the ride while mowing which was easier on my body.

T

TobyU

Any and or all of this brand bashing is basically just personal biases.
All mowers are basically just a combination of parts and the engine and transmission or hydros are the key ones.

You only have a few options of engines available and some people pay more for Kawasaki but even those, especially fr-series, have their issues..
Personally I would go with a Kohler 7000 series but they still can have issues.

For the transmissions and hydro she basically have two choices commonly available. Tugg torq and hydro gear.

The problem is every manufacturer specs just the bare minimum needed for the machine so I have 42 in ZTR is typically going to have your EZTs or your 2100 or 2200 or whatever they want to call it on there..

They work well for most people as long as you don't pull heavy carts around, I don't believe in pulling anything with a zero turn, or trying to pull shrubs out of the flower bed or you have lots of hills etc.
Remember, most lawn mowers are made to do one thing, mow grass and it's better when it's a flat ground.

You also need to treat them appropriately and not pop willies. Driving like a Cadillac like you're not trying to spill your beer.
And once you start them and get them up to temperature if it's mowing or moving you keep the throttle at the full running speed.
NEVER get done cutting, turn off the blades, slow the engine down to barely an idle and then ride it back to the barn. This is terrible as it spikes the temperature on the hydro due to low air flow.
It's not stellar for the engine either.

I don't like 42-in mowers because I feel bigger is better at least to a point.
I still think 60 inch is the best overall size mower as long as you have somewhere it will fit in the door you're fine.

One problem is a lot of these 48-in mowers have the same hydros as a 42 or they will still have what they used to call the 2800 and then they called it the 2800/3100.
They used to call the 3100 entry level commercial and now they're calling the 28. It can't be both a 28 and a 31 so it's mostly just marketing.
Sure, they put a bigger charge pump or something like that on it and technically it's different but at the end of the day it still has the same diameter output shaft and the load capacity isn't much different from the 2800s from 15 years ago.

If I were to be buying a zero turn today I would pay extra to get the larger hydros. I would want at least a 3400 which gets you the larger shaft size and a much stronger more capable, higher load capacity and weight limit unit.

Occasionally you can find a 48 that has these but sometimes even the 50s and 53s 54s still have the smaller ones so I would be looking at the hydro specifically taking pictures and checking model numbers to make sure I had at least a 3400.

If I buy a zero turn, I expect it to outlive me. If it doesn't make it a full 20 years without any major repairs I'm going to feel slighted..

I couldn't care less about the spindles and stuff like that.
Pretty much every bearing you find now is going to be made in China and most are much lower quality than they were 15 or 20 years ago and even spindles that have greaseable zerk fittings, don't last like the old ones used to.

Luckily, these things are pretty simple to replace and fix..

When you get too large the price does tend to go up but many of the brands you can still get on eBay or Amazon and order the complete spend assembly for what I call dirt cheap..

They are literally shipped to your door for well under 20 bucks each. Sometimes as little as 10 and 11 dollars each and they sell them in ones twos and three packs.

Some of the less prominent brands do make a little bit more expensive and nobody is copying and selling full replacement ones as cheaply so in those case I would just pop out the bearings and replace the bearings.

It's not uncommon for just the shaft at a dealer to be 80 to $100 and the outer housing to also be expensive etc when you can't buy the whole complete aftermarket unit but you can almost always get by for a long time by just replacing the two bearings unless you really blast something and bend the shaft or crack the housing.
Then, it's really on you and not any kind of design flaw or low quality parts or bearings wearing out so I can't fault the machine or the builders for that.

grumpyunk

grumpyunk

I used a 33" Snapper from 1992 until about ten years ago to mow on a 3.5 acre weed patch. I do not fertilize nor water, but it still is green 7 months of the year(at least) and needs mowing ~once a week.
I have had minimal problems, and figure the Snapper handles more like a go-cart than a riding mower.
If mowing all of a .75acre patch, if roughly level and without a lot of trees or 'go arounds', If you don't want to look at a Snapper, I would consider a standard style 42" mower and would tend towards the AYP produced brands.
I would not purchase anything made by MTD unless incentivized a WHOLE LOT. Look at their engineering, their steering linkages, brake linkages, and the shift levers that I was afraid to push on for fear of breaking them. The battery hold down(under seat wrap of metal) was corroded after a few months, and the corrosion came back within another month, after cleaning, priming, and painting. The steering link got bent and the wheels toed out so much it was visible from ten feet. Yes, it was a budget level, but was too cheap to pass up on c-list. I fixed and sold it quickly, and learned from that. Made a little cash on the deals.
The Snapper is still working well, and I have a 1997-ish Craftsman by AYP that has needed little repair since I got it. It does not like bumpy ground so much, but it does cut a wider swath than the Snapper, and I wanted to cut down 'seat time' as I age out of this.
So, a zero turn is fancy and they mow at a good clip(pun intended). They do move along, but you will be likely $3k into a machine that may be overkill. I would try a used machine to see if it delivered the expected performance before investing in a new machine. I get my front and back done in about 1.5 hours, and think I mow over an acre, closer to 1.5. But I have been doing the same cut for decades and have it down... Take a look at a used Snapper, or a regular style AYP.
tom

L

LMPPLUS

A

a022mil

W

will55912

Hello....owner of several farms and have different ZT mowers on each farm. I have had bad luck with John Deere, farmers love them because of the green paint, but reliability issues, not really built to last. They are not what they were 20 years ago with the Kohler cast iron engines. Kubota zero turn mowers are great in the conventional type, not ZT. In looking at a 42" mower of Kutota, it seemed cheap. Cub cadet looks like a 15 year old mower after 1 year of use. Had no problems with mine, but hated the exterior after one year. Every mower has it's good and bad points. I have been happiest with Gravely which Ariens makes. Gravely supposedly is a little bit heavier duty than Ariens but more expensive. If I am going to keep a piece of equipment 5+ years, I am not afraid to pay extra for well built.... (Mine is an XL) My Gravely has one thing I do not like on the 42" deck. It needs a roller in the middle of the deck to prevent scalping as not all my areas are smooth. I do not know if this would be the case for you, but something to consider. Most important though is a dealer that stocks a good parts inventory, plus giving good service. I am very happy with my Gravely dealer, if you are happy with your Cub Cadet dealer, then I think you have your answer. This is my experience.

F

fixit1ddh

It's down to how You take care of it. And if You need parts how easy they are to get & price. In 70 worked at large simplicity dealer. Have owned simplicity's up to 2015 for mowing. Wanted a zero turn because of back surgery's. But for the size of deck I needed simplicity was out of my price range. I went ahead a bought a Cub zero turn 54 inch new. Wife got on it and didn't want to get off. So in 2017 bought Her a new same model. I always gave a hard time to anyone that bought MTD. But after resurching them they make more lawnmowers then the rest combined. So there's going to be a lot of them MTD's in shops. And they make cheap sh*t all the way to what ever You want to spend for a mower. But my 2015 cub 54 inch has 630 hour's. Only thing I have ever done is change oil and filter 2 new batterys. Changed hydro fluid in hydrostat at 600 hours. And adjusted valves twice. All original, belts arbor bearing ect. Wife's 2017 has around 360 hour's oil and filter. That's it still has original battery. I have been totally happy with these mtd's. Most today all have the same hydrostat's so get what makes You feel like You would be happy with. Quality is a total crap shoot anymore with whatever You decide on.

B

bertsmobile1

It's down to how You take care of it. And if You need parts how easy they are to get & price. In 70 worked at large simplicity dealer. Have owned simplicity's up to 2015 for mowing. Wanted a zero turn because of back surgery's. But for the size of deck I needed simplicity was out of my price range. I went ahead a bought a Cub zero turn 54 inch new. Wife got on it and didn't want to get off. So in 2017 bought Her a new same model. I always gave a hard time to anyone that bought MTD. But after resurching them they make more lawnmowers then the rest combined. So there's going to be a lot of them MTD's in shops. And they make cheap sh*t all the way to what ever You want to spend for a mower. But my 2015 cub 54 inch has 630 hour's. Only thing I have ever done is change oil and filter 2 new batterys. Changed hydro fluid in hydrostat at 600 hours. And adjusted valves twice. All original, belts arbor bearing ect. Wife's 2017 has around 360 hour's oil and filter. That's it still has original battery. I have been totally happy with these mtd's. Most today all have the same hydrostat's so get what makes You feel like You would be happy with. Quality is a total crap shoot anymore with whatever You decide on.
CUb was a great brand
It was owned & run by International Harvester .
When International were taken over the new owner sold off the garden division & the truck division
The stand alone Cub Cadet was never totally viable as being a top shelf the volume turn over was small so they did the suicide option of rebranding a host of stuff to increase cash flow
It was not a success so MTD gobbled them up
MTD is the lowest cost ( thus lowest quality ) mower brand on the market and over the years have downgraded the Cub product line despite running Cub as an independent division.
After the rent seekers who owned Murray sucked it dry into bankruptcy MTD was the last man standing so they picked up a lot of what used to be made by Murray .
Thus MTD is the largest mower maker in the country
Or I could put it this way
Rolls Royce makes the best designed & best made cars on the planet to the extent that they actually have a life time warranty that gets passed down through the generations provided the children are direct relation to the original purchaser which makes them the best value car ever built
Ford make cars that will barely survive to the end of their warranty period so while they are very cheap to buy they are very poor value
Ford sells millions of cars a year, Rolls Royce sells a few thousand
People do not want good they want cheap because they are stupid & never think things through properly
The exact same mentality applies to mowers and the vast majority of people buy on price & price alone
You have a sample size of 2 mowers.
I have a sample size of over 1000 mowers
Not all of what comes off the MTD lines are total junk .
So it just happens that your wife finds her Cub comfortable to use which is good and she does not abuse it and because a "happy wife = happy life "you probably take extra care that it is maintained properly
But that is not the case for the vast majority .

F

fixit1ddh

Correct, but even a Rolls Royce if it's not taken care of will break down. When someone has a tendency to purchase less expensive thing's they have a tendency to run them in the ground quickly. Back in the 70's when I was a lawn mower mechanic. I set up a new simplicity sovereign with all the bells & whistles on a Saturday. Monday morning it was sitting at the front door totally destroyed. Like Lot's say the chevy 350 won't run 200 thousand. I have a 1978 out of 1 ton that had over 500 thousand on it. And it only used 1 quart of oil at its 4000 mile oil change. I drove it from when it was new. And guy that bought it wanted new engine so I kept the old long block. It's all how there treated and taken care of. Most of the equipment today use the same trans. Same with simplicity and all the other makes that used to built there own trans. If it wasn't for all the MTD's You may not have much to do, keeping You busy. I have been retired for 13 year's now. Reason I had to buy a cc mtd. But if I had a extra 30 grand to spend on a mower I would probably buy a 30 grand $ cub cadet.

G

GrumpyCat

Ford make cars that will barely survive to the end of their warranty period so while they are very cheap to buy they are very poor value
Guess I need to go outside and tell my out of warranty F-150 that it is time for it’s wheels to fall off.

B

bertsmobile1

If you get into the early history of Ford you will come across the test to destruction
So at Ford, the cars ran till the first major componant failed
If this was outside the warrant / advertised service life everything that did not fail was downgraded as that was considered a waste of resources .
Rolls ran their vehicles till the first major part failed then they made it stronger
And yes anything abused will fail eventually but the better designed & built will take a lot longer to fail .
My old mechanic got a Silver Dawn ( 1942) in with a broken axel at around 2,500,000 miles .
You are not supposed to tow behind one & this one had a big hitch as the owner was a carnival operator so they had towed their mobile home behind it since new .
RR sent a team out , & replaced the axel gratis on top of paying the garage for use of his workshop
The current owner was the grand daughter of the original purchaser .
According to the RROC over 90% of the companies output is still known to exist and of that over 75% are still running
The F-series are pretty tough, crude engineering with things like shimmed steering & suspension adjustment
We had an ex-police one that we used to tow the location vans with .
I find it amazing that people regularly post here asking " What is the best ride on that $ 2000 can buy ? " as if there was any sort of quality at that price
I have a Honda here I inherited from a customer that died
Brand new it was the same price as a Suzuki Swift ( small 2 seater car ) which was about 6 months wages back then.
He bought it after his mower was incinerated in the 1995 bushfires
Since then it has has nothing done to it other than normal service items , belts, blades , engine bits & one set of steering bushes
Red had a club foot so he used this mower as a disability scooter every day, towed a 6 x 4 car trailer behind it when he was doing gardening on top of mowing 10 acres with it
That is a quality mower
Try that with any sub $ 10,000 mower and the hydros would be dead within a year