Loaning Equipment

Mini Motors

Threads
Being a new guy here, I don't know if this has been covered, but it never hurts to be reminded. It actually happened 2 years ago, but I just fixed the machine in question today. It is a Troybilt 4 cycle trimmer, that I have lots of attachments for. Granted, I can(and did, as a temporary measure) find another that will take the accessories, but I liked the 4 stroke idea.

It started 2 years ago, when My daughter was dating a guy who fancied himself a landscaper, but he really was just a lawn cutter. I'm sure most of you know the difference. He seemed like an okay dude( I do need to rethink my thought processes in this area). He needed a gas powered hedge trimmer for a particular job, and I had the attachment. So I loaned it to him over a weekend. It came back to me with water in the gas(kinda understandable), a strange spark plug(??), and the most damaging, a carb that was clogged and rusty inside. I didn't note the serial number at the time,( I have since changed this policy) but it looked like mine. I don't think he had the mechanical ability to swap the parts, and he didn't have a broken one, so I'm betting on the idea that he had a friend with a broken one. He had no explanation, and like a good liar, stuck with his story. No amount of soaking or compressed air was clearing this carb. And at the time, a new carb was $50.00+ w/ shipping. I found a Ryobi w/ electric start at an outlet for $80.00. But I kept the Troy.

I had an issue with the Ryobi this year(see http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/3274-09-ryobi-trimmer-carb-question.html), and when getting what I needed for it, I checked the price for the carb and it had dropped to $20.00. 15 minutes to put it on, and it started second pull. Runs a lot better than that EPA choked up Ryobi(although I do like the electric start).

Moral of the story? I know what you're thinkin'. But what kind of people would we be if we wouldn't help a friend out? We wouldn't be posting in some forum, cause "help" is what we're all about. I would just say to be careful who you lend to, and document your equipment. As a former parts guy, having all the model and serial numbers is always a plus.

So. Happy ending. The carb and the boyfriend have been replaced. I'm happy.:thumbsup:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Loaning Equipment is a big NoNo when you use it to make a living especially. I have loaned things in the past but I try real hard to say Sorry! I usually will just go help them or do what they want done. That's not a good idea either.:laughing: Tends to happen too often.:laughing: It's all good!

LandN

Threads
me too.... loaning equipment out is bad news. you might get away with it for a while,but your setting yourself up for a let down.i have seen the ----- hit the fan soooooooo many times.------you need help,fine,i'll help you within reason, but you're not borrowing jack

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't loan it.
I feel good about that cause I don't borrow it either.

Jetblast

Threads
Borrow what? Sorry. Really, I really am.

I wasn't born cynical. I learned it. :eek:

Roybretton

Threads
I learnt many years ago never to lend machinery out, I once had a customer who asked if he could have ago with my new mower, I said yes, but told him not to go near the tree stumps! The first thing he done was to mow over the tree stumps, which then ripped a blade off and bent the disc that the blade is attached to!

fastback

Threads
I have a problem I love toosl and therefore buy something almost on a weekly basis. Here is another problem. I have a neighbor that borrows tools on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I like this guy and almost think of him as a son. When he borrows I sometimes have to go looking for the tool. This sucks since I am the owner and have to lose time getting my tools back. I tell him that he can borrow but to not marry the tool. I want it back. Today I asked for my Bosh saber saw and he asked, why do you need it? My thoughts, Hey dummy, I don't need to need it I just want it. Its almost brand new and it was not cheap. Go figure...

Jetblast

Threads
I learnt many years ago never to lend machinery out, I once had a customer who asked if he could have ago with my new mower, I said yes, but told him not to go near the tree stumps! The first thing he done was to mow over the tree stumps, which then ripped a blade off and bent the disc that the blade is attached to!

:laughing: Holy crap. That had to be hard to watch.

When I was much younger and dumber, I let a friend I'd known for a short time take "a quick spin" on my Yamaha YZ-400 after expressing interest in buying it, and assuring me that he'd been riding for years and knew what he was doing. Within two seconds he'd mowed down our six foot privacy fence, bent the front forks, and wasted the handlebars and brake/clutch levers. Clearly, he didn't have the slightest idea how to operate a motorcycle.

Fortunately, he was not injured and promised to pay for everything. Unfortunately, he never took another call from me and I never heard from him again. That was one of my first meaningful encounters with a pathological liar and psychopath. It taught me a lot!