LGT2654 charging/low voltage?

jemilsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks. I have the LGT2654 with the Kohler Courage 26hp engine. My voltage (when running) is not getting any higher than 12.5 volts across the two battery terminals. Here are some things I have performed:
  • Bought a brand new battery from Rural King
  • Replaced both ignition coils
  • Replaced voltage regulator
  • Replaced alternator
    • While removing the flywheel I noticed that 3 magnets were loose, so I epoxied those back on in the proper polarity.
When the mower is on (blade is off), the engine surges a little bit, but when the blades are on, it sounds great (consistent, no surging). Turn the blades off then it slightly surges again. It mows great but there are times where the mower isnt charging the battery so I end up periodically having to jump it/run the battery charger overnight to get it working again.

Is there an obvious issue that stands out? I almost feel like the repairs I have done (except the battery) were almost wastes of money as the conditions really haven't changed. Anyway I am puzzled and just don't know where to start on this. Could my springs be old/worn out on the carb to the point that the motor isn't spinning faster (faster spin = higher voltage output)? Maybe that's why it is surging a bit? I'd be willing to replace the carb but again I hate throwing money at the wrong solution if it will continue performing the same. Thanks for anyone's help!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
first lets some testing if you got DVOM.

1721673120928.png
And I see that you replace stator. So if test 2 indicates bad if probably the flywheel magnets but step 3a and 3b still need to done.

Also make sure the voltage regulator case is grounded to the metal engine's crankcase. A lot of the time DIYers forget to put the ground strap back on.

jemilsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks StarTech - Here are the results:

(2) With the engine running full throttle, I checked the voltage across the two outside connectors of the Stator (both AC voltage) and my numbers ranged from 42 V-38V down to about 5 volts. The number changed as the engine surged (slow down the voltage dropped).

(3A) With the engine off/key off, i checked the resistance between the same two stator leads. I was getting 2 ohms, which I believe is ok because I would change the multimeter setting and it kept showing 2 (different decimal place). So I believe it is ok. Again, brand new stator installed.

(3B) With the engine off/key off, I tested each stator lead directly to the battery negative terminal. Infinity so no short.

I also tested DC voltage across the battery while reving the engine with throttle controls. I saw no immediate increase in voltage at all above 12.5v.

The Voltage Regulator has no terminal or built-in terminal for a ground wire. This particular VR connects to a metal piece that is under the black plastic top cover that bolts onto the engine. On other Kohler models, the VR connects to that plastic cover where a ground wire would for sure be needed. I saw that in other writeups when I was replacing the VR to begin with. For fun I did connect the VR to a ground but it made zero difference.

To me it seems like it is dropping voltage somewhere and recovering, but I could be making that up. I have not changed spark plugs at all (not sure if that makes any difference on this issue).

I was going to upload a video of the engine to this, but after testing all of the above, the battery wasnt strong enough to start it again, so I put the charger on and will capture it later.

As others have said, it takes Courage to work on these Kohler/Courage engines. Maybe it should be called Kohler/Wisdom, or Kohler/Persistance instead :D

jemilsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to get a recording of the engine after being on the charger a bit.

jemilsch

Forum Newbie
Threads
FIXED!! I have still been experiencing this issue so I continued additional research. Here is what I did:
  1. One person had this issue and said the ignition switch could be the culprit since all the wiring goes back through it. I ordered a cheap replacement and installed it, however it didn't fix the issue. Oh well.
  2. Another person had a full instructional video showing the same issue and diagnosed everything in between the voltage regulator back to the battery and ended up having dirty connectors. So, after buying a can of Electrical Connector spray cleaner from the auto parts store, I disconnected every plastic wire connector I could find (ignition plug, fuse/plug, large 5 pin plugs, smaller plugs), I spray cleaned everything, reassembled and BOOM! Had ~13.5 volts between the battery while running full throttle.
I should clarify that the engine still surges on and off while the blade is off - I'm thinking I'll deal with the carb next season. It doesn't surge when the blade is on. But the primary issue of the lack of charging seems to be done.

So I call this a fix and a win. After all that, it really came down to dirty connectors.