Leveling Deck on 42"Craftsman....HELP

rett98

Threads
I have a 917.28512 42" Craftsman mower (bought in 2011). I am trying to level the deck but cannot seem to get one side the same height as the other side.

I have looked at various videos on how to adjust the deck but none have worked for me.....I can adjust the link on the left hand side to increase or decrease the deck height on the left hand side but it does not have an effect on the right hand side??? Should there be a spring on the right hand side to compensate for the change made by the left hand side link????

At the moment I can only use setting 6 (the highest) to mow the grass and even that is cutting the grass at about 1-1.5 inches (too short)

I need major help ...ANyone

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are missing a digit in your model number.

Born2Mow

Threads
Step number one.... Air the tires up to the recommended pressures.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try these steps. 1. Tire pressure 10 rear, 25 front. 2. Set deck lever to mid cutting height. 3. Loosen front adjuster until it is loose. 4. Loosen left hand adjuster nut and set it in the middle of the range of travel. 5. Bounce the deck a couple of times to make sure everything is loose. 6. On a level concrete surface, with both blades set perpendicular to the direction of travel, measure the outside tip of each blade. I use a threaded rod coupler with a bolt screwed in. I’m not worried about the exact measurements in inches, just want the two tips to be the same. 7. Raise or lower the left hand adjusting nut until both tips are the same. 8. When they are the same bounce the deck a couple of times and check tips again. If not repeat step 7. 9. If they are the same rotate left hand blade 90 degrees and tighten front adjusting nut until the front rod is tight. 10. Check the left hand blade tips front and back. 11. Now tighten the front adjusting nut until the front blade tip is 1/8”-1/4” lower than the back blade tip. When you finish this the deck should be ready to go. Finally I’m assuming that you have removed each blade and checked to see that they are not bent. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve found bent blades to be the leveling problem.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Try these steps. 1. Tire pressure 10 rear, 25 front. 2. Set deck lever to mid cutting height. 3. Loosen front adjuster until it is loose. 4. Loosen left hand adjuster nut and set it in the middle of the range of travel. 5. Bounce the deck a couple of times to make sure everything is loose. 6. On a level concrete surface, with both blades set perpendicular to the direction of travel, measure the outside tip of each blade. I use a threaded rod coupler with a bolt screwed in. I’m not worried about the exact measurements in inches, just want the two tips to be the same. 7. Raise or lower the left hand adjusting nut until both tips are the same. 8. When they are the same bounce the deck a couple of times and check tips again. If not repeat step 7. 9. If they are the same rotate left hand blade 90 degrees and tighten front adjusting nut until the front rod is tight. 10. Check the left hand blade tips front and back. 11. Now tighten the front adjusting nut until the front blade tip is 1/8”-1/4” lower than the back blade tip. When you finish this the deck should be ready to go. Finally I’m assuming that you have removed each blade and checked to see that they are not bent. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve found bent blades to be the leveling problem.
Excellent thorough summary Rivets.

rett98

Threads
Rivets...thank you for the walk through.. I will be attempting to go through the step by step instructions you suggested this weekend. I'll keep you informed how it goes.

rett98

Threads
Rivets

Prior to starting your instructions I took the deck off the mower and cleaned (power washed) it and checked the blades (they are not bent)

I went through the steps as suggested. (Thanks for the details)
No problems but no real positive results.
My deck still "leans" slightly to one side (the side without the left adjuster nut)

I still have to use the top setting (6) to cut the grass as 4 or below settings cut the grass less than 1"

I'll probably get a mobile expert to come out and pay him/her to set the deck up.

But many thanks for your help. I just feel stupid for not being able to get the deck set right.