Mower deck LB 8401 deck

rgito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

New guy here with a question.

I was a small engine mechanic for many years at a John Deere dealership in KC. I worked on everything from blowers to mowers to small diesels. Recently I came across a really nice 8401 that a fellow had sitting in his shed. He sold it to me as he wanted it out of the way, along with lots of parts for that model.

One of the parts is a replacement deck that is in very nice condition. Easily 8+ out of 10. No cracks and hardly any dings in the housing. The paint is very nice as are the decals. The underside is almost completely clean. I was amazed when I first saw it.

Would anyone want this deck? I don't know how many LB owners still run these F engine models...but I remember them as one of the best OMC ever put out. I am thinking of putting this up on Ebay for $60 or so if no one here has any use for it.

Anyway if you or anyone you know would be interested, please email me. I don't know what the shipping would be, but the deck is not that heavy. My zip is 82001.

Thanks for the great forum!

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi All,

New guy here with a question.

I was a small engine mechanic for many years at a John Deere dealership in KC. I worked on everything from blowers to mowers to small diesels. Recently I came across a really nice 8401 that a fellow had sitting in his shed. He sold it to me as he wanted it out of the way, along with lots of parts for that model.

One of the parts is a replacement deck that is in very nice condition. Easily 8+ out of 10. No cracks and hardly any dings in the housing. The paint is very nice as are the decals. The underside is almost completely clean. I was amazed when I first saw it.

Would anyone want this deck? I don't know how many LB owners still run these F engine models...but I remember them as one of the best OMC ever put out. I am thinking of putting this up on Ebay for $60 or so if no one here has any use for it.

Anyway if you or anyone you know would be interested, please email me. I don't know what the shipping would be, but the deck is not that heavy. My zip is 82001.

Thanks for the great forum!

If it's really clean looking you can probably get $60 for it on eBay. Nice looking LBs go for big bucks -- particularly the commercial line.

Please post some pictures of your mower (and deck) --and welcome to the forum.

rgito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the welcome. I will try to get pics up soon.

I have run a JD JA65 for the last 11 years, and while it is a decent machine, it does not cut or bag as well as I think it should. I remember cutting many yards as a youngster with my Dads 8237 LB. That thing would cut anything...and bag it really well.

The fellow I bought it from gave me a second complete handle, axle, rear height assy, self-propelled rod and clutch, rear wheels, s/p gearbox/drive shaft, set of handle brackets, and even another used engine (everything but the carb and shroud).

I still need to fix the stop tab on the self-propelled handle. Over the years it has worn away. I am thinking a welding shop can build up the tab for a few $$.

I have never run the Commercials. I am hoping this 8401 will do as nice a job as I remember. If not I guess it will go on the sales block too (maybe someone here would want it).

This thing sure brings back old memories....