Lawn tractor torque

Skrazimoto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a 2012 ariens mower that I bought used with the 17.5 HP Briggs engine. My issue is when I let off the brake I get shot forward extremely quickly, it's the worst when I have it in 6th I'll end up popping the front end clear off the ground if I lift my foot up too fast. Is there anything I can do to have a smoother transition between stopping and going?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because the brake & clutch are on the same control, there is an adjustment to time the release of the brake .
In theory it should release a tiny fraction of a second before the clutch takes up & the mower moves forward.
The big problem is the actual brake is a sudden death application.
The brake disc locks the layshaft so the wheels can only turn in opposite directions and has 2 positions off fully & on fully .
Get the mower up in the air and have some one work the clutch/ brake pedal
Follow the rod from the brake to where it connects to the clutch
Somewhere there will be a spring between the two so that after the clutch has got to the end of it's travel, the pedal can move further to activate the brake.

Adjusting these is a daily event for me as most of my customers are getting old and can no longer release the pedal slowly enough to prevent the jerk.
Too much and the mower will freewheel between the brake releasing & the clutch taking up the drive.
Not a problem on level plots but can be a neck snapper on slopes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another cause I’ve found for this problem is a worn belt.