Lawn boy smokes a lot

viperv10

Threads
I picked up an early 90's lawn boy awhile back. It is an F series engine that didn't run at the time. I put a new coil on it and cleaned the carburetor and took the muffler off to check exhaust ports. It started up but doesn't run real smooth like
all my other F engines and it smokes a lot. I told my wife I can fog for mosquitos while I mow. The smoking does slow down after awhile but you can always see smoke coming from underneath. I did notice that when I had the carb off the reed valves had some rust or some kind of corrosion on them but they sealed up just fine. Does any one have any idea why this mower would smoke so much?
Thanks.
Jerry

intruder1500

Threads
White smoke or black smoke? If black likely engine is running rich. Is underside of deck oil covered.....I have heard that it may be a leaking crank seal on other discussions. What are you using for oil and mix ratio?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the mower sat for a long period of time, you may have a large amount of oil sitting in the crankcase. If that is the case, it should clear up after about 30 minutes of running. As sail check your fuel/oil ratio. I suggest you use Opti-2 oil, because you don’t have to measure and smokes very little.

viperv10

Threads
It's white smoke. I think I changed the crank seals. I almost always do when I buy one to resell. I use outboard motor oil at 32 to 1 and sometimes Amsoil at 50 to 1. I have also tried adjusting the altitude screw on the walbro carb and it doesn't seem to change anything. So I didn't know if it might be the rings or the reed valves or what. I have tinkered around on several Lawn Boys over the last few years but never had this problem before.
Thanks.
Jerry

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Outboard oils air meant for water cooled engines, not Lawn Boys, which run hotter than mowers. Lawn Boy fuel/oil ratio should be 32-1 when using standard 2-cycle oil.

viperv10

Threads
I have been using Amsoil Saber for years. I ran out one day and couldn't get any more for awhile. The only reason I bought the Evinrude/Johnson oil was because I have read on this forum several times that Lawn Boys should use outboard motor oil TCW3 rating. But this can't be an oil problem because none of my other 8 mowers smoke.
Jerry

intruder1500

Threads
I think I will be using Shell Nautilus 2 stroke oil when my supply of Lawn Boy oil runs out. It is recommended for air cooled engines. Alternatively, Castrol Go 2T motorcycle oil.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Letting the crank case gases back into the intake will give a pretty rich mixture on these, and worn carb throttle shaft will allow this too with the enrichment port set up for wide open throttle. I'd change those reed valves first off.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tom, the crankcase is part of the fuel delivery system on this mower. Oil in the fuel lubricates the internal parts of the engine before the mixture leaves the crankcase and enters the combustion chamber. Replacing the reeds won‘t change or solve his problem.

intruder1500

Threads
I don't know if it will help...see page 3-15 excessive smoking in the following link to another lawnboy forum