Export thread

Lawn Boy Platinum Model 10795*: No Spark

O

Opahujo

I replaced the coil but still no spark. However, there is plenty of spark when I disconnect from the coil the wire that goes to the STOP/RUN switch. Measuring the resistance to ground of that wire after disconnecting it from the coil with the STOP/RUN switch in the STOP position I get zero Ohms to ground (that is as it should be). However, with the switch in the RUN position, the wire measures 35 Ohms to ground. I wonder whether that is as it should be or is there a resitor across the switch contacts. The wire runs underneath the flywheel to the STOP/RUN switch which only partially sticks out from under the flywheel. I can’t really trace what’s going on.
The mower has a Toro GCV 160 engine and I wonder where I could find a wiring diagram for the mower with that engine. Any comments would be Much appreciated.
*I suspect this Platinum Model 10795 is really a green painted Toro mower that is masquerading as Lawn Boy.

B

bertsmobile1

Welcome.
You got things a bit wrong there.
The kill wire on the coil should be open circuit , so infinite resistance or as most meters show now days , OL.
When you turn the mower off the wire goes to ground which kills the spark.
So the coil is fine but you have a short to ground on that kill wire.
Usually it happens at the swich

G

g29andy

It's a Honda engine, the rest is Toro in green pain. Toro called their red version the Super Bagger. I have a 10696, which is the steel deck Personal Pace electric start version. It's my only 4 stroke mower, but I like the engine. Bert has your answer.

R

Rivets

Sorry Gandy, but Lawn Boy was building that style of mower before Toro took them over. You may have seen it as what was called the Lawn Boy M-series. The Toro is the copy. Toro just switch to a Honda engine on the Lawn Boy model.