lawn boy 8237 rpm adjustment

impalass

Threads
Can you open & close the butterfly and change the rpm?
Did this problem start after you took the carb off?

There is a Dude on youtube named jon3800, I think you are having the same problem he was having. He found the lever that's links the carb to the governor was flipped over and locked fwo (full wide open).

As much detail as possible. The air filter scenario is pretty strange, if the filter is touching (opening) the butterfly when you put it in could be what is raising the rpm when installed.
This problem started when i was cutting the grass and the butterfly is to far back for the filter to touch it. Like what i said before i can move to lever from normal to high and nothing happens.

oldboys

Threads
I noticed that the rpm increased on the the engine and i tried to reduce the rpm by the collar and nothing happened. One odd thing is when i remove the air filter element the rpm dropped about 400 rpm. When i move the throttle from high to low nothing happens. The carb has a main jet adjustment for the fuel. this is a f-engine.

I have read all the replies, and they are all valid possibilities. The places I would look, make sure throttle plate is not partially dislodged from the plastic throttle shaft, governor spring intact? Dirt inside carb? Also, is throttle shaft worn and pulling air? Crankshaft seals? Another possibility, pto shaft seal.

impalass

Threads
I have read all the replies, and they are all valid possibilities. The places I would look, make sure throttle plate is not partially dislodged from the plastic throttle shaft, governor spring intact? Dirt inside carb? Also, is throttle shaft worn and pulling air? Crankshaft seals? Another possibility, pto shaft seal.

Carb is in very good shape as i had it apart and when the engine is hot it starts very goods so i presume that the seals are in good shape. The engine still has lots of power and the compression is 110 PSI.

WhyZed

Threads
Hey impalass, sorry we couldn't get this solved for you so far..

Ok, we can assume the carb is tip-top an the governor is fine.
The problem began while you were mowing, so, the next step in the process is the reed valve. Possible a blade of grass or spec of dirt is holding the valve open.

That is all I can think of.

impalass

Threads
Hey impalass, sorry we couldn't get this solved for you so far..

Ok, we can assume the carb is tip-top an the governor is fine.
The problem began while you were mowing, so, the next step in the process is the reed valve. Possible a blade of grass or spec of dirt is holding the valve open.

That is all I can think of.

I found the problem. The spring for the governor was kinked and i was the person who caused the problem. It happen when i was cutting the grass under the spruce tree and the branch hit the lever for the fuel and shut it off. A couple minutes later the mower stopped and i notice that the fuel lever was in the off position so the branch must have hit the spring and causing a kink.
I fixed the kink and the lawn boy is running good again. I will buy a spare spring.

WhyZed

Threads
I'm so happy you found the problem, I was sad & thought you gave up & went to a dealer who charged you hundreds of $.

It is very hard to help with the problem when we are not there to see the problem..

spanky63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 8237 and the idle is so low that it des when we try to cut grass. The mower ran good for a while but now is bogging down. I know I need a new blade but that shouldn't affect the mower running with some consistency. My mower smokes a lot too even though I mix one bottle of oil with a gallon of gas.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
You should start a new thread rather than necromancing this one. : )