Lawn Boy 8237 coil help

74eldo

Threads
Hello, new to this forum looking for help with my Lawn Boy 8237. I got it at an auction with two other mowers for 15 bucks. Out of the three this was the one I had the least interest in as it was very dirty and in pieces. As I cleaned her up and put her back together my feelings changed. Such an odd looking machine that I started really liking it. She has good compression but no spark. I checked the kill switch and spark plug both of which are good but the coil is not. I got one from Amazon but it did not fit. I looked on line and have not found a coil specifically for the 8237 mower. I asked several sellers that state the coil dose fit the 8237 to verify that it fits and was told if it looks like the photo it will fit, but it dose not. Can anyone help me find the correct coil for my 8237? I am looking forward to bringing this old girl back to life. thank you!!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

what is your serial number from engine or mower please?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/lawn-boy-681578/ This is just an example, possibly not your coil. You can go a step further & google "Lawnboy part number", for best price, be careful as you want original Lawnboy part, not from Amazon made in china.
Depending on serial # & year, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

74eldo

Threads
Thank you!!!! Let me go dig it out and we will see where it goes from there.

74eldo

Threads
Serial number from mower is 9489725. I checked parts tree for my coil 681410 and came up obsolete. I checked the diagrams on parts tree also, turns out she is from 1979, no luck with having a coil available though.

74eldo

Threads
Does it look like this?

Serial number from mower is 9489725. I checked parts tree for my coil 681410 and came up obsolete. I checked the diagrams on parts tree also, turns out she is from 1979, no luck with having a coil available though.

Does it look like this?

That looks like the one that did not fit, I tried to download a photo but the file is too large and I cannot post it. thank you for your help!!

74eldo

Threads

what is your serial number from engine or mower please?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/lawn-boy-681578/ This is just an example, possibly not your coil. You can go a step further & google "Lawnboy part number", for best price, be careful as you want original Lawnboy part, not from Amazon made in china.
Depending on serial # & year, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
After looking at the diagram again, it is showing 681578 as the coil for my mower. Not sure what the difference is between the 681578 and the 681410 but I am willing to give it a shot.

74eldo

Threads
This looks similar to my coil, mine is white in color. From what I have read some of these coils have to be grounded to run and others have to be open to run. If that's the only difference then all I have to do is flip the wires on the on and off switch. I am fine with that. I am going to keep on digging and see if I can find some more info. A big thanks to everyone for their input!!!!!!!!!!!!