Lawn-Boy 7261 21" (1972)

Stevenn1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine came with 33 needle bearings (677963) between the crank and connecting rod caps. The new set of needles (683911) came with 32 needles. Somewhere i read there was a Service Bulletin that takes 1 needle away. Is that for more oil on the crank? Does anyone have a link to the Service Bulletin?

AnthemBassMan

Threads
The engine came with 33 needle bearings (677963) between the crank and connecting rod caps. The new set of needles (683911) came with 32 needles. Somewhere i read there was a Service Bulletin that takes 1 needle away. Is that for more oil on the crank? Does anyone have a link to the Service Bulletin?

I remember reading this too, but I think it was for heat expansion. I’ll have to look around to see if I can find it for sure.

L8R,
Matt

Stevenn1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is where i'm at in the 'restoration' process. Not perfect. But a lot better then before. I regret not taking before pics.

pic3.jpgpic4.jpg

2smoked

Threads
None of mine are perfect. If any of them were, I wouldn’t want to use them. No garage queens for me.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
None of mine are perfect. If any of them were, I wouldn’t want to use them. No garage queens for me.

Same here. I was going to restore my 5024 Bricktop, but I love mowing with it. I alternate my two Lawn Boys every week for mowing.

L8R,
Matt

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Steven, I would have put the blade on exactly like you did. It just looks right. But the Lawn-Boy maintenance manual shows that the washer goes between the blade and the stiffener, not between the nut and the glade. Refer to page 9-15, 225th page in the manual ( or just search for tri-cut). Hmm...that also moves the blade down about half a notch on the height adjusters.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
Using the Tricut blade, the blade stiffener is eliminated.

L8R,
Matt

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Matt: You bet, but his photo shows he is not using a tri-cut. He has the original flat-blade, stiffener, and washer (but not assembled in the right direction).

FuzzyDriver

Threads
OK, so looking closely at the below-deck picture I have another question, Steven. Do you have two washers on it? Something like that? It looks to me that the nut is not all the way onto the end of the crank, a few threads shy.

Stevenn1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good eye! I only spun the nut 1 turn. Not even tight in the pic.