Repairs Lawn Boy 2-cycle starts then dies when cold

Yokena

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had this problem for several years but am beginning to tire of it :tongue:

I have a Lawn-Boy Model 10546 two-stroke. To start it I press the primer 3 or 4 times. Then I engage the starter (it is electric start). It usually kicks off, revs up to normal rpm and then in a second or two, shuts down. I pump the primer again. Same routine.

To me it acts like it needs choking. Unfortunately, there is no choke. So I choke it myself by taking off the air filter and holding my hand over the carb air throat. By doing that, I can keep it running. Once it is warmed up, it will run ok and I can then mow my lawn. And that is why I have put up with this problem for several years.

I have done all the usual things, like changing the gas, cleaning & re-oiling the air filter, etc. I have removed the carburetor and inspected it, cleaned the jets, and so forth. One idea is that it may be the float is too low. I don't know the setting but it appears to be almost to maximum height. So I haven't changed it.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am new to the forum, as of today.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not familiar with that particular model but it seems to be adjusted a little lean -- so it has trouble warming up.

Have you tried pressing the primer just before it dies? That's the equivalent of choking the carb -- that might be a way to work around this.

Is there an adjustment screw on the carb? If so, try turning it out 1/4 of a turn.

I don't think there's a problem with the float if it runs well once it's warmed up.

Yokena

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a parts diagram but I see no adjustment screw of any kind. There is the air vane governor which may be adjustable somewhat. I do not know how it is adjusted.

I will try pushing the primer to keep it running. That will probably work since choking it works but I really need a solution that does not require either.

I think they over simplified -- no choke and apparently no carb adjustments of any kind!

GrassBusterDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Field strip the carb . I found a clunker in the main jet and the 2 intake manifold bolts were loose. I had tolerated poor cold starts and even harder hot starts. So I rarley used this mower. Now it runs like a beast.

Also make sure needle and seat passing fuel. put a new plug on j-14 .

Toss old fuel. use stabil always .

GrassBusterDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
You say you clean jets. I sprayed but it took unscrewing the main and if I recall there was a screen of some kind, pull it off and remove MAIN jet.. I had to use air compressor to blow a chunk out. Then spray up or blow up to see fuel enter venturi area. This should do it. Small wire may be need to unchunk. this new fuel is nasty. Again stabil once up and running. You may have a floating clunker also inside main.

Anyway I'll shutup I just wanted to help.