Lawn Boy 10515 Residue in Gas Tank

Skol

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. Looking for advice on cleaning out an old Lawn Boy 10515 gas tank that is full of residue\particulates. I detached the tank and disassembled the shut off valve. Was hoping to see a screen or filter but nothing. Attempted to wash out the tank by sloshing clean gas in it but the tank design makes it difficult to drain the particulates out of the screw on cap and the drainage hole to the fuel line is too small for some of the residue to flush out. Noticed a seem around the tank and cowling. Is it possible to pry the tank apart on the seem in 2 halves? Any advice on cleaning out the tank on this particular model? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The way I clean these tanks is as follows.
1. Drop about 10 clean 1/4-20 nuts into the tank.
2. Add about a cup of water with dish detergent Into the tank.
3. Shake well for about 30 seconds.
4. Dump out the tank. Count the nuts.
5. Add about a cup of hot water into the tank and shake well.
6. Dump out and repeat step 5.
7. Blow out the tank with compressed air.
8. Repeat until the water comes out clear, no soap or residue.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never tried it with dish soap. Always used kerosene. Next one i do i will try the dish soap. Learn things every day.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t have to worry about where you dump it out and a lot cheaper. Plus you do it at the end of the day to clean your hands.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a caustic type degreaser.
A bit rough on the fingers and some old rusty nuts & bolts which usually come out clean as well.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
To answer the rest of your question: Do NOT try to take the tank apart! Getting it back together without it leaking would be nigh unto impossible, and a million times harder than cleaning it using any of the other guys suggestions.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a good degreaser. I use 70% ammonia and 30% water. You can run the ammonia full strength if you wish. Depends on how dirty the item is. Spare nuts like Rivets said works great. If the above doesn't get it clean nothing will.

slomo

cessnapilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
To answer the rest of your question: Do NOT try to take the tank apart! Getting it back together without it leaking would be nigh unto impossible, and a million times harder than cleaning it using any of the other guys suggestions.
WD 40 in tank...handfull ofclean small rocks...wrapp in an old blanket...through in a old clothes dryer