Export thread

lawn boy 10415

J

jrogers297

My mower won't start. The primer bulb had cracked rubber bulb so i replaced it, it seems to be very slow to respond when i depress it and it doesn't seem like it is priming. I am not sure how to check if it is getting spark or not. How do i check? Does anyone have another suggestion? I will need a big farm field mower pretty soon! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

J

jrogers297

My mower won't start. The primer bulb had cracked rubber bulb so i replaced it, it seems to be very slow to respond when i depress it and it doesn't seem like it is priming. I am not sure how to check if it is getting spark or not. How do i check? Does anyone have another suggestion? I will need a big farm field mower pretty soon! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

I was able to get mower started, after cutting grass for an hour i was mowing for 30' & it stopped. It seemed as though it ran out of gas, still had 1/2 a tank. I have been able to start but same thing happens. Has anyone experienced this? What to do?

Rudedog

Rudedog

My mower won't start. The primer bulb had cracked rubber bulb so i replaced it, it seems to be very slow to respond when i depress it and it doesn't seem like it is priming.

My experience with this in 2 cycles is that you need to clean the carb. It is "slow to respond" because fuel is not flowing through the carb properly.

J

jrogers297

I removed and cleaned the carb, replaced two gaskets, and filled gas tank with fresh fuel. The lawn mower started, after 5 or 6 primes, but only ran for <3'. I have heard the engine coil is often found to be bad, can an engine coil work sometime then stop? How do i check the engine coil?

R

Rivets

If you have a plastic carb, there is a jet on the left side of the carb, under the decal, which needs to be cleaned. As for a farm field mower check out the Kubota's with a tow behind mower.

J

jrogers297

I removed the carb, plastic, and used a carb cleaner spray go clean every single nook & crannie. I reassembled it and after 5 or 6 pulls it started and ran for about a minute.???

R

Rivets

Did you find that jet under the decal on the left side of the carb. It has a very small hole in the center that loves to plug up.

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

That mower should have the F series engine. To the best of my knowledge, the jet behind the decal of the plastic carbs are found on the Duraforce powered models. They have a wider bolt pattern as well, and will not fit the F engines.

R

Rivets

Did you replace the rubber o-ring on the nozzle and make sure that it is seated tightly when you reassembled it. If it is not tight, you will have an internal air leak.

J

jrogers297

I replaced the gasket btwn carb & motor & the gasket btwn the top plastic part & the bottom plastic part that encases the float. I am not sure what the "rubber o ring on the nozzle" is?

R

Rivets

Nozzle goes straight up the center of the carb. Probably red. You should be able to pull it out.

J

jrogers297

I checked the nozzle, dismantled carb again, and mower wont start. It seems like its not getting spark, how do i check spark?

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

Take the spark plug out and attach it to the plug wire. There should be a visible arc, and a "snap" sound at the electrode of the plug when you pull the starter rope.

J

jrogers297

I didn't get a spark or hear a pop. When testing for spark do I need to ground the plug? I was searching on the net to see if anybody else experienced this problem and i came across quite a few people with problems with the coil. The two things to be tried was using a hair dyer to heat up the coil and a similar idea is to "bake" your coil using an oven.? Is this a valid fix? Is this safe to do? Incidently i tried the hair dyer idea and it worked all be it was not the smoothest start. Does the fact that the hair dyer worked help me with the diagnosis and/or the permmanent repair needed?

Rudedog

Rudedog

I didn't get a spark or hear a pop. When testing for spark do I need to ground the plug? I was searching on the net to see if anybody else experienced this problem and i came across quite a few people with problems with the coil. The two things to be tried was using a hair dyer to heat up the coil and a similar idea is to "bake" your coil using an oven.? Is this a valid fix? Is this safe to do? Incidently i tried the hair dyer idea and it worked all be it was not the smoothest start. Does the fact that the hair dyer worked help me with the diagnosis and/or the permmanent repair needed?

I know that they bake a coil from time to time on old chainsaws. Remove the coil and heat it up with a in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour or two. Then seal the unit with a "Conformal coating" or a very thin epoxy and reinstall it and set the air gap this will bring them back to life 50% of the time. This would be my last ditch effort before tossing it.

R

Rivets

You must ground the plug. Baking the coil and/or using a hairdryer are garage mechanic stuff and you will not get a good results. Plus you can do more damage if not careful. Ground the plug with the kill wire off and if no spark replace the coil. Any mechanic worth a penny would test it this way.

Rudedog

Rudedog

I agree with Rivets 100%. I was just answering the question if it was possible.