Lapping Valves?

Lapping has great appeal to the home mechanic , but (IMO) is not a good practice to rely on. Proper valve and seat grinding and blueing check is far superior.

Finally a fellow that agrees with me. I've seen too many horror stories about it and wouldn't put that stuff on my worst enemies valves.

It's decent for sharpening clipper blades on a lap wheel and other similar work but that's about it.
 
Senior, Well, give fish some credit . He really doesn't like lapping either!! I believe total removal of the grit can be a problem and there is always the human fraility of... "if a little is good, more is better," which is not true and overzelous lapping can degrade that nice ground surface. motoman
 
I would check all the adjustments (including the carb), spark plug and diaphragm first.

When it comes to lapping, I think a good idea might be a ckildren's bow with suction cup arrows and a screwdriver/drill with care and low speed. It's hard to find small enough lapping tools.
 
Back
Top