Land Pride Z44 Won't move. Sounds like drives are bound up

tsamrein

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Land Pride Z44 Won't move. Sounds like drives are bound up
I just acquired this zero turn mower. It runs fine and the blades spin fine, but when you sit on it and try to move it forward, it sounds like it is whining. Almost sounds like there is a brake on that won't allow it to move. I am able to get the wheels turning with the relief valves open and key on, but that is it.

I am new to this type of drive so I am at a loss, other than tearing the drives/transaxle/transmission apart and visually inspecting everything.

Hoping not to have to do so, but I will if no one has a better troubleshooting plan.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not familiar with either the mower or the intergrated drives
However a quick look and it appears they have an electrically controlled internal brake
So get under the mower and watch the levers that are just under the filters
When the brake is turned off both of the arms look like they should pull up to deactivate the brake, assuming the spring activates it when the power is off.
So watch them
If they don't move then undo them and wire them up then do a test, prefferably some where flat because there is no parking brake.
If it runs fine then check the wire going to the brake solenoid it should be 0 brake on and battery voltage brake off.

Hydros have a finite service life but you could try changing the oil & filters .
A good hydro will be quiet in operation
as they wear out they get louder from a whirr to a groan to a howl
By cheap & nasty check is to put the mower on a hill ( I use my trailer ramp ) release the brake and give the mower a push
If the hydros are in god condition they will resist any movement & require quite a hard push to move then stop when I stop pushing
If they are easy to push but go slower when I stop pushing then they are on the way out
and of course if the mower rolls without being pushed or races off the ramp like Mulga Bills Bicycle then they are stuffed

Threads
I just acquired this zero turn mower. It runs fine and the blades spin fine, but when you sit on it and try to move it forward, it sounds like it is whining. Almost sounds like there is a brake on that won't allow it to move. I am able to get the wheels turning with the relief valves open and key on, but that is it.

I am new to this type of drive so I am at a loss, other than tearing the drives/transaxle/transmission apart and visually inspecting everything.

Hoping not to have to do so, but I will if no one has a better troubleshooting plan.
got the same problem mines a 2010 one