L130 Wiring Harness Problem

rjdahlen

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is for an L130 with Kohler engine.

Recently the belt to the deck stretched, came off and jammed in the pulleys. When it did that I got some gray smoke coming up which I assumed was from the PTO pulley still running on the stuck belt. However, when I began working on the deck, I opened the hood and found the wiring harness was fried. I rebuilt the deck and found a new wiring harness online. On install I found the old harness had 6 wires to the PTO switch and lower coupler but the new one had only 4. Every wiring schematic I've found shows the 4 wire connectors so I have no idea where the 6 wire ever came from. Now with the new harness wired up the engine only starts if I have the PTO switch in the on (pulled out) position. Once the engine is running I can turn the PTO switch off and the engine keeps running. The PTO, however, will not engage. I've traced the wiring with the schematic and everything seems to match up, so I'm now at a loss as to what's happening. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all of you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a PTO switch and a safety switch for the PTO
An electric PTO switch has 6 wires
A safety interlock one for a manual clutch has 4
Purple pair are for the cranking circuit & found on both types
The white ones are for the safety cut offs also on both
The yellow ones are the actual PTO Clutch found only on the electric clutches
Do yourself a big favour & buy the technical manual for your mower from JD.
People think they are expensive but the dearest one I bought was 4 hours of my labour charges or a touch over 2 hours of a JD dealers labour charge out rate

rjdahlen

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a PTO switch and a safety switch for the PTO
An electric PTO switch has 6 wires
A safety interlock one for a manual clutch has 4
Purple pair are for the cranking circuit & found on both types
The white ones are for the safety cut offs also on both
The yellow ones are the actual PTO Clutch found only on the electric clutches
Do yourself a big favour & buy the technical manual for your mower from JD.
People think they are expensive but the dearest one I bought was 4 hours of my labour charges or a touch over 2 hours of a JD dealers labour charge out rate
Thank you for the response and the valuable information. I don't know why, after hours of searching, I had not found that information anywhere else. Guess I'll head to JD!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And you don't always have to buy the manual from the dealer either for the older equipment. I have purchase digital copies for as little as $20 each. Even the dealer you can find then on sale at times.

Just note some of the manuals online for newer equipment are older manuals with outdated info in them.