L-100 won't start

RobbieM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy all. I have a John Deere L-100 rider. It was given to me by a friend who said it was running fine then just stopped running while mowing. It will turn over but will not start. I noticed no fuel flow through the filter when attempting to start, so I replaced the fuel pump, filter and spark plug. Still nothing. What else should I check to locate the problem? Does a bad seat safety switch restrict fuel flow? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What engine do you have on you unit. Model numbers would be very helpful, if you want help. Does the engine have a fuel solenoid onthe carb? If so, have you checked to see if it is working? I would spray some carb cleaner into the air horn of the carb and see if it fires. This will at least tells us if it is fuel or spark problems.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect fuel line from carburetor and place in container, crank engine, fuel should flow freely into container,
Results:
If fuel flow is slow, check the following:
Replace fuel filter
Check fuel lines, fuel pump, shut-off valve (if equipped),
fuel tank outlet, and fuel tank cap for restrictions

To test proper operation of fuel shutoff solenoid, (if fitted), Listen for an audible click when ignition switch is turned from OFF to ON. If solenoid does not click, problem could be in equipment wiring. And remember if battery voltage drops below 9 volts when cranking engine or while engine is running, the solenoid will not function.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Howdy all. I have a John Deere L-100 rider. It was given to me by a friend who said it was running fine then just stopped running while mowing. It will turn over but will not start. I noticed no fuel flow through the filter when attempting to start, so I replaced the fuel pump, filter and spark plug. Still nothing. What else should I check to locate the problem? Does a bad seat safety switch restrict fuel flow? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The seat switch will not prevent the engine from starting. I know this contradicts what 2,000,000 shaved monkeys with video cameras who post on You Tube say, but trust me I start them every day to service them without being on the seat.
It will shut off the engine if you get off without activating the brake
It will shut the engine off if you try to engage the blades and are not in the seat.

Your mower has a safety switch on the parking brake and on the PTO , both of which will prevent the engine from starting.
So check if you have a spark when the engine is cranking.
If not remove the engine cover and trace the single thin wire from the coil to the plug just behind the starter motor.
Disconnect it and check for spark again.
Spark = problem with the mowers wiring
No spark = dead ignition module ( fancy name for coil )

Finally the flow of fuel at start up is so small you wiil not see it flowing through the filter.
Check as per Engine man's instructions