Export thread

Kubota Z421 Broken Deck Springs

G

Greaser

I purchased this mower less than a year ago, it currently just turned 40 hours. My question concerns the deck spring breaking. This mower has broken 3 springs, and I currently have it loaded and ready to haul to the Kubota dealer. My Kubota dealer tells me these mowers do not have a problem with these springs - that’s just really difficult to believe, especially with this mower breaking 3. My question is, does a problem exist with this type mower or is this unique to my particular mower. Thanks

R

Rivets

There was an update kit for some Z-turn models to be installed at no charge to the customer. Have your dealer check to see if you have one of those units.

G

Greaser

There was an update kit for some Z-turn models to be installed at no charge to the customer. Have your dealer check to see if you have one of those units.

Hey thanks, that’s what I was hoping for.

G

Greaser

The dealer picked my mower up, put a new spring on it and gave it a clean bill of health. Today, it has another broken deck spring, this is the 4th and the mower has 54 hours on it. I’ve had to purchase another mower to keep my grass cut. I fully expect Kubota to purchase this mower back or I’m going to file a lawsuit under the Tennessee lemon law. Any other suggestions sure would be appreciated.

R

Rivets

We have not seen any problems with the units we have sold. If you give me the full model and serial numbers off both the tractor and the deck, I’ll see if I can find any problems with that unit. Did you ask the dealer about whether your unit needed an update kit?

G

Greaser

Rivet, as previously thanks for responding. The mower model number is Z421KW-54, serial 15303, the deck serial is 15391, the deck model is RCK54P-400Z. My wife really likes this mower, it’s just aggravating with so many problems. Thanks again.

R

Rivets

I’ll ask again, did you ask the dealer if your unit needed the update kit?

G

Greaser

I’m sure I did but because so many people work there, it probably got lost between sales and salesman. I was dealing with the salesman, whether he mentioned it to service I can’t say.

R

Rivets

As long as they have it now, call and ask for the service manager or owner. Someone should be able to answer that question by looking up your warranty records. DON’T rely on a salesman, they have no idea what happens in the service area. I’ll see if I can access your info next week, should have all the info I need.

G

Greaser

Thanks

R

Rivets

I did some checking today and I found that your unit is a 2018 model. Did you purchase it in 2018 or 2019? This unit should have the update spring hardware. Second, you said that this unit is primarily used by you wife, would you ask her, “At what speed does she engage the deck? Third, does the spring break while she is cutting or when the blade is first engaged?

G

Greaser

Rivet we purchased the mower May 2018. She said she engaged the blade while sitting still, the spring breaks while mowing. Thanks for checking. I don’t have a clue, neither does my dealer - they have been great about working with me. It’s Kubota that’s dragging their feet, a Kubota rep told my dealer that he, the rep, would contact me since last Wednesday today is Monday - still no contact. I found out that the lemon law does not apply in Tennessee, however since I had to purchase another mower I do have other options.

R

Rivets

Sorry, by speed I meant engine speed. In talking to our dealership owner, been working on Kubotas for 50+ years, he says that these units need to have the deck engaged at nearly full RPM’s. Because of the very tight belt tension, engaging at lower speeds causes excessive slapping of the tensioner arm, pulley and spring. The weakest one is the spring, which eventually breaks. Does the spring break at one of the connecting curls? That’s where the spring will bang back and forth losing contact and hammering. This may be the cause of your problem. That was the main reason for the updates on the older units, didn’t have strong enough tensioner arm, pulley and spring. I’ll bet the rep doesn’t even know this.

G

Greaser

I would attach a picture of the broken spring, but I can’t figure out how to do an attachment. But the spring breaks about 3/4 inch from the spring windings. About the speed, I’m guessing about half throttle - I know she doesn’t have the RPMs wound up. Thanks, I’m interested in what the rep says as well - although I’m more interested when he will make contact.

Chris32

Chris32

I have a Kubota Z421 that has broken 2 tension springs on the drive belt recently. One at 33 hours and another at 39 hours. This spring is obviously made cheap, or they have a design flaw. Both have broken about an hour into cutting and the blades are in high speed. It's very frustrating and ruins my entire opinion on Kubota mowers. Picture attached.

Attachments

Olracer

Olracer

I had the same problem, until I started running it at wot. No more broken springs