Kubota Z100 / Z200 vs. SCAG Freedom Z

fotomatt1

Forum Newbie
Threads
So my wife and I are closing on a new house in the next two weeks....just in time for mowing season. We've been living in a townhome where we haven't had to maintain the lawn for the past 7 years so I don't have a mower. Our new property is 1.5 acres and the back and front yards are mostly clear with most of the trees around the perimeter. I've been looking at 54" Zero Turn mowers and thought I was settled on Kubota when one of my friends told me has a SCAG and I should take a look. The Freedom Z seems to be a bit more comparable, but is coming out almost $1k more expensive. Any preference between the two? Is a grass catcher necessary? It's another $1400 for the SCAG and $800 for the Kubota. Thanks in advance for your help!

logert gogert

Threads
is this just for home use?
or are you planning on using it for some side jobs to?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kubota, (Z200) bigger transmission, Kawasaki engine. Scag, smaller transmission, Kohler engine. For the same, or close to the same money, I'd go with the Kubota. Today's Kohler is not the engine we used to know, and those Hydros are in the bigger is better class.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree on going with a Kubota, Grass catchers are nice if you want a pristine lawn and have a place to dispose of the clippings. I would go without and see how your lawn looks, you can always add later.

fotomatt1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kubota, (Z200) bigger transmission, Kawasaki engine. Scag, smaller transmission, Kohler engine. For the same, or close to the same money, I'd go with the Kubota. Today's Kohler is not the engine we used to know, and those Hydros are in the bigger is better class.

Both the Z100 and Z200 Kubota have the ZT3100 transmission and Kohler motor. The Kawasaki comes on the lower HP version.