Kubota 5021 Push Mower Recoil Start Problem

epirnik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I seem to have a simple problem but am slightly vexed as to exactly which part I need to replace on my 5021--an awesome mower that never dies.

Recently I've noticed that every time I start the mower (always starts on the first pull), the cord retracts as normal but the ratchet (part number 050) which engages with the pulley (150) retracts from the pulley. This means that the next time I want to start the mower, I'm out of luck. The ratchet sits within a groove in the pulley. As you pull the cord, the ratchet connects with the pulley and causes it to crank, thus starting the engine.

Every time I want to re-start the engine after using it, I need to take off the recoil starter housing, re-engage the ratchet with the pulley, and put the housing back on. Is there a spring I am missing somewhere that perhaps keeps the ratchet extended?

Here's the parts diagram from Sears. Wondering if someone might be able to offer a bit of advice, as I'm guessing it's a simple fix. Just don't know exactly which part to replace. The ratchet? The pulley something else? Otherwise, this thing works great.

Parts diagram: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...ts/Model-W5021-SC/1320/1500600/00048559/00009

Best,

Ed

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You may not have it assembled correctly. The ratchet guide #60 must move freely to allow the ratchet to return properly. Next time you have it off check to see that everything is assembled correctly and moves freely, before reassembly.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also check spring *100 that goes into/onto the ratchet.

epirnik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks folks, I will check the spring. That seems to make perfect sense to me.

Best regards,

Ed