Kohler SV600S starts and runs for 5 seconds and dies

JC123456

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler SV600S starts and runs for 5 seconds and dies
A friend has a Kohler SV600S motor that starts and dies after about 5 seconds. He has cleaned out fuel tank, changed gas lines, fuel pump, coil, spark plug wire, spark plug and carburetor with no good results. Anyone have any ideas I’d really appreciate it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does it have an oil pressure switch. That is about the timeline for the switch to kill the ignition after starting.

JC123456

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it have an oil pressure switch. That is about the timeline for the switch to kill the ignition after starting.
I’m not sure. I’ll have to check.

kbowley

Threads
OEM Carb? Maybe the solenoid on the bottom of the carb? Sounds like a fuel issue.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
He has cleaned out fuel tank,
As in like a new one, clean?
changed gas lines,
From the tank outlet to the carb inlet, all the way?
fuel pump,
Was this tested? Does it work and actually pump fuel?
coil, spark plug wire, spark plug
These items tested? Can this ignition system jump a 1/4" gap in free air?

I'm with kbowley, carb after fire solenoid working?

Will it fire with starting fluid sprayed into the carb throat, choke and throttle wide open?

You need 4 items to make it run. Air, fuel, spark (at the right time) and compression. Deduce what you are lacking.

JC123456

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m not sure. I’ll have to check.
I have searched everywhere but cannot find a low oil pressure switch. I have found that the new fuel pump isn’t pumping. It’s vacuum operated fuel pump so gonna check vacuum where it comes out of the motor.

kbowley

Threads
I have searched everywhere but cannot find a low oil pressure switch. I have found that the new fuel pump isn’t pumping. It’s vacuum operated fuel pump so gonna check vacuum where it comes out of the motor.
Are you sure you have the lines hooked up to the pump correctly?

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Check for battery voltage to the solenoid on the carb with the key turned to the on/run position. Not all of the Courage single cylinder engines had oil pressure switches so that could be why you're not finding one. It sounds to me like you might be getting voltage to the fuel solenoid with the key in the start/crank position but not in the on/run position.

You could try unplugging the fuel solenoid and run a fused jump wire from the short wire coming off the solenoid to positive terminal of the battery. If the solenoid isn't getting power from its designed source this will bypass that and should run.